fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Most people put clams in the sandbed depending on how intense the lighting is. They need high light especially clams that are 3" or bigger. They will attach to rock and can even attach to the glass at the bottom of the tank depending how shallow the sandbed is. Once attached its very difficult to move the clam
If you mess up the clams foot it could kill it.

NewfiDog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can place a small rock or one of those round fake rocks some coral come on for the foot to attach to then fill the sand around it. Some actually atach to rocks then excrete something to bore a hole in the rock for there foot, dont ask me which ones.
I would keep an eye on him for a while some need really strong light that 230 PAR would not be considered strong thats more in the medium range, but he should be fine.

I have both of mine on the rocks because my tank is 28 inches deep and i wasnt to sure they would get enough light on the bed.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Ditto with all of the above posts!:wink1:​

My Gold Tear Drop Maxima has chosen the sand bed towards the front middle section of my 155 bow front.:rolleyes: I tried putting it up on the rocks several times, and it always jumps off. I've placed flat rock, clam shell, and it refuses to attach. So there it sits in the middle front of the tank.:rolleyes: I have 3 X 250 watt MH. Oh, and I've had it for about 4 years now.

What clam are you getting?

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Post a pic. Some times when there small like that there foot is not so strong, crabs and snails can knock them over until they get a little bigger. Where did you get it?

I just got it from Coral Theory. I just put it in the tank after dripping it for a while. I took a piece of flat rock and pushed it into the sand and sat teh clam on it, then just pushed some sand over the rock.

Excuse the pic that is a bit out of focus.. I will take better ones later.

clam.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: