CoralMeister

The Flying Reefer
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I only have a two chamber sump for my skimmer and return pump, as well as 3 baffles...Since I dont really have a fuge, I was wondering if I can put some macro/chaeto in one of my baffles, and what kind of lighting I can use for it. I was looking into getting something like a strip of thin LEDs or something, just enough to sustain the algae and lay it across the baffle. CFLs really heat up the cabinet, so I really dont wanna go that route.

Any suggestions would help, thank you.

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I have a similar sump, ie small.

I baffled off a section in the middle as a refugium. It's basically... Drain+skimmer--->fuge--->return (with a bubble trap before return) Maybe 6" wide by the front to back depth of the sump...12"-ish for the "fuge", if you could call it that.

Put in some rock rubble along with some chaeto, red mangroves, green gracialia and red gracilia. My chaeto doesn't seem to want to grow, but the other stuff is going gangbusters. Mangroves are sprouting roots and I noticed last night the Red Grac might have doubled in size and is now sticking straight up. I think the other stuff is just starving out the chaeto. Or my tank is too young and bioload too low for it and the other stuff is eating the nutrients the chaeto wants. I do only have 2 fish at the moment and no corals.

Red and green gracilia are small, so those might work for you. Same goes for mangroves as seedlings at least. (Got it all from reefcleaners.org, poke around)

I use a 6500k CFL spiral as lighting. I don't think the heat is too bad, but i'm sure there are LED fixtures out there that could work as well. I know saltwatercritters has some nice clip on LED fixtures that might work well for you.

My nitrates where over 60, maybe pushing 100 before my macro installation. Been 0 since. Again, low bioload still, but it makes me feel good that when I add things, the macro is established enough now to catch up when more nitrate producing activities are happening. I think it's effective because given my lay out, all the water has to pass through the fuge before it hits the return rather than relying on some % of it being pumped into an external fuge and then returned.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: