BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I'm doing a bulb change on my 6 bulb ATI Sun Power.

Trying to decide weather to change all the bulbs at once and raise the fixture and slowly lower it to aclimate the corals to the new bulbs or just change out one bulb a week.

The current bulbs are just about a year old. The new bulb combo will be almost the same.

Combo now: (Front to Back)
Aqua Blue
Blue+
Purple+
Blue+
Blue+
Aqua Blue

New Combo:
Blue+
Purple+
Blue+
Aqua Blue
Blue+
Blue+

Any thought on which method of change is better?

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Thanks guy's. I'm gonna change one every few days.
I just changed out one of the Aqua Blue Specials with a Blue+ and rearranged the bulb order. It looks a thousand times better with on less Aqua Blue.
I also moved the Purple+ into the front Dawn/Dusk slot. It definitely gives an interesting look. Not sure if I like better than 2 Blue+'s for Dawn/Dusk though.

dacaptain78

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I would change them all at once and just manipulate your light cycle for a week or two if you feel the new bulbs are adversly affecting the corals. Seems easier than removing/adjusting the light fixture every few days.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I never thought this mattered until I talked to someone who burned their corals by switching all at once.
If I had T5 lighting still, I would change them individually. Or I would change a percentage every few months. Like a 6 bulb unit I would change 2 every 3 months but chart the bulbs so I could keep track.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: