motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
what size micron do you use?

drawstring or hard ring?

and where do you get them from?

im using a mix of 5 micron , 25 micron and 100 microns.. i keep 3 of each and swap them out every other day and wash them..

im looking to replace them bc they have been in use for some time now and wondering wheres the best place to buy them?

cybermeez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
God, I hate changing filter socks. They are such a PITA to clean for anyone in an apartment that doesn't have a washer.

I have 100's and 200's and use the 7' socks with the plastic ring. For my tank, the ring is needed to keep the sock in the holder. My biggest problem is that I have to use the 7" socks, but all of them are really too long for my sump.

I just bought some Eshopps 200's and was disappointed in the quality. They are glued not sewn together and the bottom of the sock has been melted together using some sort of heating process. I predict they won't last long.

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
God, I hate changing filter socks. They are such a PITA to clean for anyone in an apartment that doesn't have a washer.

+infinity on that.

It sucks having to pay 2$ to was a few socks in the washer. Actually I haven't even done that yet because...I'm afraid of what else people are using in the public washer. And the looks I'm going to get using a washer for 3 items. I've just been washing them in the sink under water so far, no bleach, but that's getting old as it takes a good 20-30 minutes of standing there to do it.

I also need to get more socks. I'd had both mesh and felt. Felt works better, but clogs faster and takes 10x longer to clean. Been getting from BRS.

FlyTekk

KISS KeepItSimpleStupid
Rating - 98.6%
139   2   0
I sock never lasted me a week. Then again i had barebottom and it was all designed in a way to get everything not live rock, live stock into the sock. So ofcourse mine didnt last very long. But in using this method my skimmers were pretty much rendered useless. Or shoud i say costly air pump.

Im wondering wether or not i should add socks to my shallow sand bed now. Only have softies and lps.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0

I have 100's and 200's and use the 7' socks with the plastic ring. For my tank, the ring is needed to keep the sock in the holder. My biggest problem is that I have to use the 7" socks, but all of them are really too long for my sump.

I just bought some Eshopps 200's and was disappointed in the quality. They are glued not sewn together and the bottom of the sock has been melted together using some sort of heating process. I predict they won't last long.

Try my method, works well for me. http://www.reefs.com/blog/2012/01/04/diy-your-hobby-part-i/

nuch

Babe it was on sale!
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
I get mine from marine depot. I change mine every 3-4 days. I have 5 tangs and a total of 10 fish. I bought 7 & as soon as I get 6 of them dirty I throw them in washer with bleach and double rinse.

Cris007

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I use both mesh and felt. IMO felt collects more gunk than the mesh. I have 4 socks so when I'm down to my last 1 I put 3 in a small container with hot water and bleach let it soak for 1-2 days then rinse a few times and air dry. They come out clean and no problems.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: