44santababy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Being new to the hobby i have made one HUGE mistake, i added 3 sally lightfoot crabs to my 120reef. DO NOT ADD THESE TO YOUR REEF TANK!!!! In the last 3 days i found one literally ripping open my baby maxima clam ULTRA and killed it, another one knipping at my larger maxima mantle, not killing it but cutting the mantle. AND, this morning i found my yellow prawn goby that is 4 inches long mauled, not dead (amazing) but ripped up pretty well, hope he makes it. I want them dead!!! My mistake, i admit, now since im ahead of them in the food chain, i want them caught and boiled for crab legs. I have all types of crabs and these sallies are a whole different level of predator. How will i actually successfully catch them? I have a useless eel that doesnt even know he eats crabs, so he is no good. Im really worried about my awesome wrasses that sleep in the rocks, they will be next. If anybody has ever caught a rogue crab/animal please advise. MAN, I GOT THREE IN THERE!! THESE ARE NOT WITH CAUTION/ THEY ARE NOT REEF SAFE IN ANY WAY!!!!

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
I've used a smooth sided tall glass filled with small meaty food at night leaning against the rockwork....caught all my unwanted crabs this way...it may take a few nights..for me it took longer because I have a serpant who likes midnight snacks...LOL

44santababy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Thanks, going to put the glass in tonight with shrimp, krill, squid, and silversides. They must go!! Mauling a healthy happy fish is not acceptable. I just hope i catch them sooner than later. I also read and witnessed that when they are about to molt they do a glass dance in the front of the tank and that they are very disoriented at this time and you can easily net them at this moment. I have actually witnessed this behavior before with them but they werent killers yet and i didnt want them out. I hope i see it again soon so i can at least make attempts to net them. You have to see the damage done to this fish...its sick. Understand its nature...but i'm father-nature of my TANK and i make the judgements. OUT

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
No other idea then the ones given already. Just wanted to add that I also fell for the bs of "reef safe with caution" when I first started in the hobby. Thankfully my lost was not as bad as yours since they were only in 30gallon. It killed, and ate all my fish.. Never again will 1 make it into any of my tanks unless I have a nice aggressive tank with large predators .

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
http://bit.ly/wY43aI - Read the very first result.

Matthew here is the problem that most newbies will/do encounter when they "research":

"Not all invertebrates are "reef safe". Many of them will tear up corals, consume fish and otherwise destroy other tank inhabitants. The invertebrates listed below are some (by all means not all) generally considered by experienced reef tank keepers to be safe for reef tanks. Keep in mind that nothing is "foolproof" when it comes to live animals. There are renegades in any species, so if your new tank critter doesn't work out, remove it before it can do serious damage.
Links to each species are included for profiles, information, facts, photos and pictures."

1. Crabs
Sally Lightfoot Crab (Percnon gibbesi)
Reef Tank Safe:
Yes, with caution.

Now as a newbie reads the above they will think this crab is safe to put in their tank. Which I for one thought so back in 2001 when I purchased it for my little 30 gallon tank. It ate or killed every single fish in that tank.

BTW, I also stay away from the Coral Banded one as well. Also suppose to be "reef safe with caution".

Had I found during "research" that they could possibly eat or kill fish I would not have purchased either.

Which brings me to; It is Good Thing to have post like these to warn others of worse case scenarios.........:smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

NewfiDog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice post Awibrandy. If no one posted, then nothing would show up in a search someone has to post it first. Mattew must have stock in google.

And i find this post informative as i have found many places to say they are safe, not even with caution.

44santababy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Dont get me wrong, they are excellent algea eaters. But they got large very quick and literally ate all algea on 120lbs of rock. My rock is spotless now and there lies the problem. I got 3 competing for food and now they are turning on tank mates. I had them about 2 months with no issues. In two months they easily doubled in size and i even catch them fighting eachother. This week its like they went bezerk and im noticing torn corals, clams and fish. This is all just happening, they were good mates. It did say clearly that as they age they MIGHT hunt fish but its RARE. Its not RARE...they hunt fish when the algea runs out...Period HAlf my livestock came with caution, so i understand the risk. These crabs actually have the ability to attack a fish, i never even saw any emeralds show interest in anything other than algea. I have 2 serpents, lobster, emeralds, anemone crabs, porcelin crabs, eel, and the list goes on. You cannot compare any of these critters to a sally crab. My sally crabs have reached maturation and now im stuck with them. They will kill until i get them out.

44santababy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
i added three of all species crabs as a CUC...didnt realize the aggression sallies have. I wish i only added one...too late. Yellow goby is still with me...actually doesnt look THAT bad, but he is not eating. I'm watching the sallies now eating, eating, eating...they never stop...lol also thought 3 sallies would be nothing in a 120gal...i was WRONG

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Coral Banded shrimp, i know. I want one so bad :\

NewfiDog: Weak argument. That's like saying if we dont post the same information constantly, everyone will forget it. Long and short, you are responsible for yourself. You cant expect hand holding then be surprised at the consequences when you make rash non-informed choices.

This thread should read: I didn't research what I was buying, and this is what happened! (Exactly what researching would have told me).

sorry for your loss dude. Hope it works out next time.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: