44santababy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
My yellow prawn goby ate a little today and his breathing is back to normal. His whole left side is a shade of pink but looks like he is healing. His dorsal and left fin were damaged badly but not into the flesh. He is a tough guy and if he makes it i'm getting him a randalls pistol shrimp.

rbtwo4

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Matthew here is the problem that most newbies will/do encounter when they "research":

"Not all invertebrates are "reef safe". Many of them will tear up corals, consume fish and otherwise destroy other tank inhabitants. The invertebrates listed below are some (by all means not all) generally considered by experienced reef tank keepers to be safe for reef tanks. Keep in mind that nothing is "foolproof" when it comes to live animals. There are renegades in any species, so if your new tank critter doesn't work out, remove it before it can do serious damage.
Links to each species are included for profiles, information, facts, photos and pictures."

1. Crabs
Sally Lightfoot Crab (Percnon gibbesi)
Reef Tank Safe:
Yes, with caution.

Now as a newbie reads the above they will think this crab is safe to put in their tank. Which I for one thought so back in 2001 when I purchased it for my little 30 gallon tank. It ate or killed every single fish in that tank.

BTW, I also stay away from the Coral Banded one as well. Also suppose to be "reef safe with caution".

Had I found during "research" that they could possibly eat or kill fish I would not have purchased either.

Which brings me to; It is Good Thing to have post like these to warn others of worse case scenarios.........:smile:
Cant agree with you any more Awi.

44santababy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
unreal...while on this site i look over at my tank and there is number 3 doing the dance in front of the tank glass and i just netted him and into the sump with the other two. Thats it!! Got all three...mother nature literally gives you an "OUT" with these guys.

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
wow just read this thread, im glad your goby made it, and i guess you will do alot more research in the future, either on google or by asking here.. we know somepeople like to explain by giving greif and others by offering sympathy.. but hey thats life.. as long as you learned and i think you did.. glad to see you got them all out!!

as for me i have always had them.. and in my main display tank in my home i had 2, one was killed by the other and since then its been abt 6 months and ive never had a problem with it..

But i can tell you arrow crabs are problematic.. i had a small one and it was fine, pretty interesting actually, but it grew fast and went from abt the size of a golf ball to the size of a baseball if not a little bigger in abt 8 months.. still having no probloems with it(or so i thought) i let it be until i finally realized y i was loosing all my small fish out of nowhere, i always figured they died and were eaten by my CUC.. i caught it eating my strawberry baslet which i thouht was dead and let it. not realizing the arrow crab caught it and killed it until the next day when i watched it stalk my snowcassos and then actually trap my male in its legs like bars of a cage.. well needless to say he did not last another second!(the crab not the snowcasso, haha)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: