jhart

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I have an honor to design buddys reef tank he has a Oceanic 140 reef ready 48x28x24 , Just ordered the deltec skimmer APF 600 and the new 501 calcium reactor,
I now need to order a rodi. Which one should i use, Kent or spectrapure?
what light hood should we use looking to due sps?
tunzes or vortec?
gonna to go with sequence dart for return pump.
what about a computer system octopuss 4000 or is the something better?
Basic qusetion if your buddy game to you and said set me up with a complete reef system, your dream 140 gallon system, what equipment would you use?

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
DonT waste your money on them
Ebay has them cheaper ,Company name is AquaSafe Systems .It cost $130 delivered for 100gpd ro/di you get a press gauge and its a 6stage

most of us us it on the board

tomzpc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For an RO/DI I would consider Air, Water & Ice http://airwaterice.com/

Great products, great prices and top notch customer service. Give them a call and ask questions and you'll see what I mean about their CS if you've never dealt with them before. Very nice people.

If you decide to go the E-Bay route, avoid the units that have a horizontal DI chamber as they are highly prone to channeling and media bypass which makes them much less effective. Bottom flow vertical DI canisters are the best way to go. I'd also stay away from a 100 gpd membrane. They have a lower rejection rate than a 75 gpd which is the main reason why they produce more water so while you may be getting 33% faster production by using a 100 gpd membrane, you will be using up your DI resins faster.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I also agree with Ronen about the RO/DI. I use Aquasafe as well. If you are knowledgeable about reefing and know what you want and how to set it up, then the Aquasafe is the way to go.

I agree with Tomzpc about the c/s at AWI. He also brings a great arguement to the table about channeling on a horizontal DI chamber.

I would really think hard about the Vortech's seeing that they have known and admitted problems with their first batch. The Tunze's are proven at this point in time.

I have T5's over my mixed reef. You can mix and match bulbs to get the color combinations you desire. The only problem I think you'd have is the shape of your tank. That might lend itself to MH's better than T5's. You might have to think about a chiller though. Keep the available space in mind if you do go MH's.

Sounds like you're gonna have some fun spending your buddy's $$$.

Post pix as you go along.

swimmer

fas917

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
jhart said:
I have an honor to design buddys reef tank he has a Oceanic 140 reef ready 48x28x24

Is this 28'' wide tank? Kool, I am looking for a tank like that, but most of the oceanic 140 I have seen are 24'' wide and ~30'' hight. Is this custom made?

Like deep said, I also use aqasafe for ro/di and I will use tunzes 6100s or 6200 for sps.

As for the lighting I would go with MH + t5

jhart

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Fas917 it is not a custom tank by Oceanic, its say 30 high but the actual height is 28 1/2 inchs according to the tape measure...
Yeah I heard that too. about the vortec's about having some problems and am aware that the tunzes are a proven product, Looks like the tunzes are the winners,
I pretty much got everything covered as far as chiller lights water movement calcium reactor and protien skimmer and heaters, BUt the question now is Computer, I have a reef keeper 2 and I love it but its not going to work for him just because its 300 dollars and its kinda small, so what should we use ...
The Octopuss 4000 personally i think is a rip off, but is there something eles thats more complete? How about http://www.automatedaquariums.com/, something like this? Also How about a colormeter Professional lab grade, or photometer, is anybody familuar with em are they good for salt water testing?

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Octopus is not too popular..

What does he want to do with it? Have an email\SMS alert when a reading in tank goes out of limit? Just want something cool to look at? Can he do some programing?

I use a few Neptune ACII and a ACIIIPro, I like the computers but the aquanote software kinda sucks.

Grim Reefer

Coral Death
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got a vortec from Scott at aquariumspecialy.com and its doing great! removed 3 maxijet 1200's and run just my return pump and the vortec.. dropped 3 degrees in the tank!! less vary on the temp too due to running 1 pump instead of 3!! The newest batch has some nice fixes to problems that came up, I am confident in the company..

as for RO/DI, i got mine from ebay as well.. and its rated at 110gpd and i get over 60 real gpd out of it.. its a 6 stage including 2 di's.. name on ebay i got it from was filterdirect.. $120 shipped

if you are going to go with strictly MH and no supplement, i would suggest 14K bulbs for sure.. they give a nice blueish tint without supplementation..

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Imma say a few things

Aquasafe rodi 6 stage - many of us use it on the board and are 100% happy wit em..

Tunze - proven its reliability and they work.. i would wait till the middle of next year just to play things safe with the vortech...

lighting - with that height i would use MH 14 k gives out a nice light with a hint of blue.. also go with the 2 t5 tek retro super uri bulbs ;) (with sep. reflectors)

for the computer i dont no cause im iz to cheap to get one :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: