masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I keep various types of Euphyllia close enough where they touch (ie: torch, hammer, frogspawn). No ill effects

I also keep some zoo's where they touch 'shrooms, no problem.

I've got a HUGE sarcophyton that droops at night where the 'forearm thickness' stalk, lays right down on top of my favia. Once again, everything is fine.

Now for my question, Can various forms of Montiporras touch one another? i'm assuming that different color morphs of the same variety can touch, but others can't. For instance, an orange monti cap should be able to touch a green monti cap. However, can a Monti Digitata touch a Monti Capricornus?

Thanks,
swimmer

Last edited:

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Wow...This is weird!!!
arabe.gif

I was planning to post about the same topic (with the same title).

I was going to ask if people can list corals that have been successfully kept together.........that have not gotten into a war.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
MASTER-Now for my question, Can various forms of Montiporras touch one another? i'm assuming that different color morphs of the same variety can touch, but others can't. For instance, an orange monti cap should be able to touch a green monti cap. However, can a Monti Digitata touch a Monti Capricornus?

yea im interested in SPS compatibility as well..

great thread master......

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
when monti's touch

I've had different colored montipora digitata fuse together.

I have a cap that has surounded a digitata and neither show signs of tissue death, the cap has just grown around the digitata's branchs without hurting it. however it has cut off all light to the base of it, so that can't be good.

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
i've seen different species touch each other w/ no ill effects. and i have seen same species touching w/ fatal results. i guess it all depends on the individual coral. they are living things and can decide whether they are being threatened or not.

while you may think that certain corals are ok together you must keep in mind that one day you may wake up to find a war going on in your tank. the moment a coral feels its been threatened or suffocated by another there will be war. survival of the fitest

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
jhale said:
I've had different colored montipora digitata fuse together.

I have a cap that has surounded a digitata and neither show signs of tissue death, the cap has just grown around the digitata's branchs without hurting it. however it has cut off all light to the base of it, so that can't be good.

Precisely the answer I was looking for. Thanks Jon.

Scarf, I do agree with you. I wanted to know experiences others have had with same family different species (or vice versa :lol: ).

I have a Monti Cap and Monti Digitata that are not that close yet, but are moving in that direction. I needed to know if I should expect a war.

This topic can be useful to others, IMO. If everyone wanted to continue the discussion I know I'd benefit as well.

FYI, I also have a Pom Pom Xenia touching a Clavaria and they seem 'happy'. :shhh:

Thanks again for everyones feedback.

swimmer

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
In my experience, predicting coral warfare is like gambling. As scarf_ace1981 mentioned, corals are tempermental.

I've had various Euphyllia sp. intertwined for months without aggressive behavior. Then one day, I come home to find 2 hammer coral sweepers happily attacking a frogspawn. After separating the sweepers, all has been well ever since.

IMO, the best one can do, is try to keep the same species together and maintain a watchful eye.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Deanos said:
IMO, the best one can do, is try to keep the same species together and maintain a watchful eye.

So back to the original question, do you feel that Montipora Digitata's and Montipora Capricornus should not be placed close to one another? Eventually mine will touch. Jon appears to have no issues. Do you feel his are the exception, or the rule?

Thanks,
swimmer

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Russ, you're asking me an SPS question? :smash:

The fact that the cap is growing around the digitata, implies to me that some sort of "truce" was met. Like he said, his caps fuse together. His digitata is apparently somehow 'signaling' the cap to stay away.

T

twinreef

Rating - 100%
194   0   0
I have an Orange cap next to a Purple Digita and they seem to be doing fine. They have not touched yet but are very very very close, almost touching.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
twinreef said:
I have an Orange cap next to a Purple Digita and they seem to be doing fine. They have not touched yet but are very very very close, almost touching.
Let's see what happens when they do touch. Since Montiporas don't seem to have sweepers, physical contact is when the :fight2: is likely to occur.

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I've noticed in my tank corals growing close to each other and hating it - then seemingly get used to each other and touch w/ no ill effects...

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
masterswimmer said:
I have a Monti Cap and Monti Digitata that are not that close yet, but are moving in that direction. I needed to know if I should expect a war.

NO, they will grow into each other. one may grow faster than the other and covering some of the tissue.

I always put multiple color digitadas on a single rock, sometimes also a cap on the base of the rock. Here is an old picture of one:

http://www.amazingreef.com/Coral_Growth_picture_files/image009.jpg

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
here's another example Russ, look at the top right of the brown monti, see the green piece in the Y, that's where the green monti fused together with the brown monti, I moved the brown monti to sell it, and the green branch broke off and stayed with the brown. when the two met there was some tissue damage but once the skeletons had grown into eachother the tissue grew back and blended together nicely, the green and brown worked it out :) A similar thing has happened with a green cap and red cap on the same rock. instead of growing into they grew away from each other.
monti4sale.jpg

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Jon, Pierce, great pix and feedback.
I'm going to let nature take its course then. I'll get some pix as of today. They are about 2" apart. I'm guessing about 6 - 8 months and they should be touching. We'll see how this :fight2: ends up. :lol2: I feel like Don King promoting this one.

swimmer

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: