masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Weird thing happened to a single polyp of my purple/pink/blue shroom. The entire polyp became encased in what looks like a cocoon. This polyp is not near any other coral, so I don't believe there is any warfare going on. The rest of the polyps as you can see in the pix are fine. Any ideas?

Since the pix were taken, I siphoned off the 'cocoon'. Not sure if the polyp will survive though. Anyway, here's the pix:

Attachments

• cocooned shroom.jpg
    cocooned shroom.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 84
  • cocooned shroom close up.jpg
    cocooned shroom close up.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 84
  • closeup.jpg
    closeup.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 85
  • uptight closeup.jpg
    uptight closeup.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 84

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
masterswimmer said:
At least a couple of inches. I've never seen a sweeper and I've looked at this tank at every hour of the day. BTW it's a A. Echinata. Good pick up :wink:

swimmer

Echinata?!?! Even worse. Those guys can produce mesenteric filaments, which can digest :eat: another coral outside the acans' stomach cavity. They are worse than sweepers, which simply sting another coral.

Read here: Coral aggression

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Dean, exceptional article, thank you. Michael Paletta always has great info to spread. I think that article could be a sticky link here. I believe we all could learn a lot about 'over-stocking' our tanks from the info learned there.

swimmer

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: