Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
wow- he obviously knows whats he's talking about though. And apparently has enough time on his hands to do it... I couldn't imagine taking the time to train Mandarins on frozen food!

Savager

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Yeah, I am sure he knows what he's doing and he has enough time to take care of his tank. But why would you even try it? Is he just trying to prove everyone wrong? So many things can go wrong with such a small tank especially with all these fishes in it.

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
In order to pull of that many fish in such a small tank you NEED to have:

1. A Queen Angel
2. A few Tangs
3. A school of anthias

I would never setup a nano tank without those three :)

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Believe it or not it not uncommon to have Mandarin spawn in a tank. Back in the mid 80's I had a couple of pair that would spawn every so often and I did nothing special to get this to happen. It's actually quite common to see a pair start to circle each other and sprial up towards the top of the tank and then release eggs and sperm.

As for all those fish in such a small tank you need to think long term as they fish will live any where from 10 - 20 years. So what may work now maybe a problem down the line as the fish get larger and more aggressive. If the fish don't live any where near their normal life spans it shouldn't be consider a success.

You'll also find many pictures of tanks over in Japan, and the surrounding areas, where people have 100 - 15 gal tanks loaded with large tangs and angels fish, way more than they should. Once again what is the success of keeping all these fish if they don't live any where near their normal life span.

JRod

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
If I can add to that list.

Would not be complete without:
4. 2 groupers
5. 1 Wobbegong Shark
6. 1 Octopus
7. 1 Stingray
8. 1 Neon Goby

Although the Neon Goby may put us over the edge.

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
Dude are you CRAZY! A neon Goby! He would get eaten in a second in that nano cube. Perhaps a second queen angel would be a better choice with those fish in a 24 nano cube? Or an eel, maybe four?
hahahahaha. I wonder if he has a fuge and what size it is. Perhaps a HOB would accomidate the sharks, rays, tangs, etc.

Last edited:

JRod

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Didn't look at the Neon that way. Luckily you point it out, would not want someone to spend their hard earned money on $9 fish and lose it, that would suck.

I'm thinking a 50% water change would be enough, why spend money on a skimmer, they serve no purpose. And why a sump when you never even see it and that served no purpose either.

Spend the money on the Moray Eel the hell with all the "extras" you mention.

JRod

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
NICE!

Yea that 30 would give them that "swimming" room they need.

I showed my wife this and she is still trying to figure out why I'm laughing so hard.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: