lazyreefer

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
I have ben thinking about lighting these past couple of days. I like the look of 20K MH but the par just sucks. t5 GE bulbs (with the proper reflector) seems to have a lot of par but the color is yellowish. I have read some posts about using 10K MH and atinic t5 combo but Can't we do it the other way around? 20K MH for color and T5 for par? is this something that is just not done or am I missing something? any pros or cons? I am looking to do this for for reg 120 Gallon tank.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
The reason to go with the T5 as actinic is for the POP (not that the currently available T5 actinic bulbs offer any POP, but they're closer to the 420 nm actinic wavelength than 20k MH). The 20K MH bulbs, IMO, offer nice color also. But they just don't make the coral flouresce. The actinics offer that visual effect.

So going with the MH as 10k or 14k with actinic supplementation with the T5's is more the traditional route.

swimmer

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: