Paolissimo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
I did a quick search on how people clean filter socks, and it seems that people either put them in the washing machine, or let them sit in bleach and water. I am not gonna put them in the washing machine, seems like a waste of water an energy, and i really don't want to mix bleach with anything that goes into the tank. Anybody uses any other methods? I been just washing them with water until i feel they are clean enough.

Rating - 100%
97   0   0
you can rinse them well with a showerhead or in a sink with the hand-held spray nozzel or even a garden hose with a strong "jet" setting.

But in regards to bleach.... you only have to use a very small amount and chlorine evaporates. you can also place them in a bucket of RO water with an airstone for a few days and the movement created by the airstone will increase the surface area of the water and help speed up the evaporation of the chlorine. Everyone is right about not having to worry about chlorine so long as you use it minimally and so long as it is completely evaporated before putting anything back into a system.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
i have about 2 dozens filter socks that i rotate through. every few days i swap one out and put it in an old lidded 5 gal. salt bucket. i would wait until i'm on my last two or so then take them to my office and use the commercial size washer with a capfull of unscented bleach and toss them in a dryer....$3 and 30-40 min. later.... all clean smelling and looks spanking new. no yapping from the wife about smelly washer and dryer.....;)

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
Don't worry about the bleach- as long as you rinse them properly- why most of us use a washing machine, has a long rinse cycle-- you'll be fine. Just wash em in water with bleach and rinse them 3 or 4 times, let air dry and they're ready to use.

+1

I take mine to the laundromat becouse my wife would kill me if I put these things in "her" washing machine. I put 8 socks(turn them inside out) with 1 cup of bleach on hot setting and then when they are done I bring them home and wash them 2 times in my washing machine(warm water, bulky setting, extra rinse cycle) and viola clean socks ;). Been doing this for a long time.

ducati335i

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
178   0   1
Washing machine really cleans them way better.. Try it out.. I only use a capful or two of bleach on two 7x 14 dirty socks!

My washer broke and I've been using a little vinegar and water to clean them.. But they are never fully clean I could probably rinse them 30 x each and crap still comes out!

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
I don't think i would mix them with my clothes, those things are filthy! I guess i can give bleach a shot.

You should see my work clothes. Have kids? Ever see how dirty a 9 and 5 yr old boy get? Lol but seriously I have 8 I rotate out never letting them get that dirty so they aren't that bad to throw in with jeans and stuff. I've actually stopped running them now and my tank has never looked better.

scubajay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Yesterday I placed for the first time 5 filter socks in my building's washer machine with a little bit of bleach, but when the wash cycle started running I saw a bunch of detergent inside the water. The person that used the washer prior to me must have left soap in the compartment. My heart dropped to the ground. I took the socks home, rinsed them like crazy with regular water and let them sit in regular water overnight. Im going to wait for the socks to dry and then rinse them again in RO water. Would this be enough to remove the soap or should I just throw them away and get new ones. I see that Bobby washes his socks with his regular clothes and he doesn have a problem with the soap. What should I do?

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Yesterday I placed for the first time 5 filter socks in my building's washer machine with a little bit of bleach, but when the wash cycle started running I saw a bunch of detergent inside the water. The person that used the washer prior to me must have left soap in the compartment. My heart dropped to the ground. I took the socks home, rinsed them like crazy with regular water and let them sit in regular water overnight. Im going to wait for the socks to dry and then rinse them again in RO water. Would this be enough to remove the soap or should I just throw them away and get new ones. I see that Bobby washes his socks with his regular clothes and he doesn have a problem with the soap. What should I do?

If you don't have a personal machine go to a laundromat- and put them through a washer there with bleach ony. If your worried about it you can do 2 cycles- 1 with nothing added than again with bleach. Let air dry and you'll be good to go that way the first one would be one really long rinse cycle and the second one would be the actual cleaning process.

scubajay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
If you don't have a personal machine go to a laundromat- and put them through a washer there with bleach ony. If your worried about it you can do 2 cycles- 1 with nothing added than again with bleach. Let air dry and you'll be good to go that way the first one would be one really long rinse cycle and the second one would be the actual cleaning process.
Jim, what should I do with the socks I currently have since they've already been introduced to soap.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Do em all. it'll all wash out fine. If you have any doubts still after the first wash spend a little bit more and do another until you feel confident.

If you want during the first cycle open the top of the machine to stop it mid cycle and you will see if any bubbles are present- therefore meaning soap is. If you stop it and there are none you're good to go for the bleach cycle- if there are bubbles do 2 with just water and do the open test on the second one to verify no soap bubbles.
You're ready for the bleach cycle as soon as you see no real bubbles.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: