Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I know I posted this before but I just love this thing.
I have been at this for a long time but I get all excited when I see the animals enjoying themselves, especially if it is with something that I created.
Just about all of my fish eat from this live baby brine feeder even though they have other things they could be eating. The thing was created for a skinny young female mandarin but it has been so successful that I use it every day. Many of the fish hang around it even when there is nothing in it. I have successfully used variations of this method to feed moorish Idols and seahorses. Fish easily learn where the food is and most smaller fish thrive on living new born brine shrimp. There is even a couple of large gobies in there that swim up for huge mouthfulls.
For people that have certain fish like mandarins, small pipefish or scooter bleenies and are worried they don't get enough to eat should try this. It is just a net stretched over a container with a tube going to the surface so live baby shrimp can be added. It really works great as this video shows.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
It's just a net stretched over a container with a tube going to the surface to fill it.
Feedingstation002.jpg

Feedingstation003.jpg

James983

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Paul, do you think if I used the plastic cover and just poked some holes in it, it could be used to feed Blackworms to my CBBF?

Probably have to weigh it down too.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
It is a great food for a few hours after it is hatched while the egg sack is still attached. After the shrimp absorbs it and uses it for energy their value fades. I hatch them every day and feed them right after they hatch. You can not keep certain small fish if you do not do this.
They are also great for some corals like gorgonians

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
The parts are just garbage. The container is what electrician tape sometimes comes in but any flat container will work. The acrylic tube I get from an acrylic store but you can get them in an LFS, the funnel is a plastic ink bottle with the bottom cut off.
The net is a net

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I put eggs in on the right side with salt water and airate it. In about 30 hours they hatch and I slide open the door between the sidea and put a light over the left side. In 15 minutes all the shrimp go to the left side and the shells stay on the right side. I slide closed the door and drain out the shrimp. It takes about one and a half minutes a day. I start the eggs the day before so I get a hatch every day

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: