fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
Yellow Tang glued his mouth shut!

I glued some frags onto some LR rubble. I let them cure a bit and placed them in the tank. About an hour later I went to feed my fish and my yellow tang had a piece of what looked like white cheato in his mouth. I watched him chase the food around but he never opened his mouth. I noticed his gills fluttering more then normal but certainly not "labored breathing." Upon closer inspection it seems that he was picking at the super glue gel and ingested some.

HIS MOUTH IS NOW GLUED SHUT!

I don't know if Tangs shed skin like we do or if he's doomed to starve to death. He has a stomach full of cheato so he should be ok for a few days without eating. Anyone have any insight to this? Anyone ever experience anything like this?

Last edited:
D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
HEy fritz
srry to hear that ,I dont have answer for you ,But i think you should change the heading of this post ,TO "i Glue my YTs mouth shut "

You should of put the frags in your sump for a few hrs and let them cure there.I know nail polish remover is out of the question ,

Only 2 guys i would ask ,Marrone and Spykes they might know

Good luck man

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
THe fish may try to scrap it off on the rocks ,,That what im thinking hopefully the fish will be as smart and try that

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Usually the glue cures pretty fast so It's mouth mayn't be glued but may have a piece of the glue stuck in it's mouth. If you can remove the fish you can probably pull it off with some tweezers. I would also think that the glue may flake off either from the fish rubbing against a rock or just the fish trying to get it out of it's mouth.

inline6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Hope your tang makes it.
I did have a 6 line wrasse that love to eat the glue I used for frags also.
Didn't seem to do it any harm, of course it didn't glue its mouth shut.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
jhale said:
If he does not get the glue off in a day i would do as marrone said and get him out and do some fishy surgery.

Don't forget to take pictures!

fish_surgery.jpg

Falco

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My Solar Wrasse got some glue on its mouth (mostly on the outside) and half of its mouth was obstructed with glue. Within 24 hours the glue was gone, not sure how he got it off but my guess is he scraped up against the rocks. Since your case is a little more serious I would suggest waiting a day or so before pulling the fish out for some surgery.

Chris

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
This should go down in the fish dos and donts ,LOL

Srry Fred ,but it is freaking funny you know ,i hope you have bad dream about a tang glueing your mouth shut while another one is holding you down ,,,,,loll ,LOL

JKing i just had too

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
No it's cool I realize how funny this is. My Yellow Tang seems pretty calm about the whole thing which makes it easier. Every now and again he tries to wrestle his mouth open.

I wouldn't even consider surgery unless he was about to die. The chances of me being able to free his jaws without breaking them or causing serious damage is slim/none.

If he does come through I doubt he'll be picking at the base of my SPS anymore.

VJ&POOPS

Member-MR Best Reef Site
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Hope the fish is better....

I would recommend removing the fish to treatment tank and adding some stress coat...hopefully it's slimed off.....that's what would usually happen naturally in the saltwater but adding a bit more stress coat may help the process along.

Yellow tangs are sometimes unpredictable..I once saw a yellow tang at a LFS with only one eye (completely gone), yet the fish appeared stress free and was even eating.....

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: