R

ryuken168

Hi, I've been looking for Southdown sand to fill up my 65 gal tank. So far I've checked most Homedepot in Queens and have no luck finding any.
The only brand I saw is Quikrete playsand.
What aisle of Homedepot would Southdown sand be at? The only aisle I checked is where the Quikrete products are.
Please let me know if anyone spot any in NYC or Long Island area.
Thanks
Ken

O

Ozzie

Bought mine about a year ago at the home depot by shea stadium. It was in the garden center near the lanscape items. I will be in the HD on Metro and woodhaven in the not so distant future, I will check there if you like. If I find some I'll hide it in the plumbing section(anybody who works ther won't no it doesn't belongther any way). This way you have a week or so to go pick it up.

C

Crakeur2

there was a construction site in Jersey that had bags of southdown laying around after they finished up. Not sure if it's still there tho. Satchmo snagged some (that's where mine came from).

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Home Depot in Jersey City had a bunch of bags.

What you need to do is called the Home Depots in the area and asked if they have Southdown Play Sand, it usally in the Plant/Garden Center area.

Just want to make a point on Southdown Play Sand if your planning on using it for a Fowlr or a FO tank I would recommand against it. I used it, with some regular aragonite sand, and had consistant problems with clouds in the tank as my fish would dig into the sand throwing up large clouds of dust. Had to change the filters alot of use a large python to suck out alot of the dust, wasn't worth the $$$ savings in the long run.

gee

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey ryuken168,

i just bought some southdown about 3 months ago at the home depot in queens. they keep it in the outside portion of the store. so doont look for it where the other sands are.
heres their info:

Long Island City
50-10 Northern Blvd
Long Island City, NY 11101
(718)278-9031

gee

R

ryuken168

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for all the responce. I'll make a tour around all the Homedepot this Monday.

Thanks
Ken

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I have 4 bags that I will let go for $5 per bag. I'm in bensonhurst brooklyn. For a DSB in a 65 you're going to need 3 1/2 bags-----that is what I used in my 65 for a 4-5" DSB.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: