cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I was wondering where I can get an overflow box made or get the materials cut to make it myself? I live in Brooklyn Heights but work in Morningside but can travel.

Also what size box would you recommend? My tanks are 36l x 18w x 17h. I have two 1" drains and two 1/2" returns. I will be using a 900gpg rio+3100 but will be returning from one sump to two tanks with tee's so will loose some. I could get a bigger pump though.

Last question where to drill the holes along the top back of the tanks. Like how far down should the drains and returns be?

Thanks

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I forgot to mention that I am going with a beananimal overflow but with only two drains (herbie style). I did look into the glass-holes kits but heard they were more noisy. I already ordered all the plumbing parts and now just need an overflow. However I am not sure what size I need or how to build it. Hopefully someone here can help me build it or knows an acrylic shop I can go to.

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
So now I am thinking using a weir inside and external to save some space. Using 2x 1" drains on a 40g breeder (36x18x17) what sizes should I make each. Looks like I am going to have to go to a glass shop and try to make these myself (what thickness glass should I ask for). Are both just 4 sided boxes or does the front of the weir have to be shorter or angled for skimming? Also for the holes in the tank between the two boxes should they be 2x 1" or 2x 1/2" (those are my two saw sizes - and how many holes can each saw cut before it is no good). If anyone wants to help make these for me that would be great as this is my first time and I am pressed for time. Thanks in advance.

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
you can do internal weir, and external overflow, may i ask why 2x1" drains for a 40 gallon tank? drilling to many holes in such a short distance is not recommended. as far as glass thickness goes you can do 3/8". as far as holes go, you need to use bulkheads and their dimensions very from manufacturer to manufacturer. most 1" bulkheads use a 2 3/8" hole

mheaven

Master Member...
Rating - 98.3%
59   1   0
This was my drain setup for my old 40b... 2- 1.5" drains. I had a dart pump as a return. Worked like a charm.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByReefs1342229849.219490.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1342229849.219490.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 79
  • ImageUploadedByReefs1342230106.901941.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1342230106.901941.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 82

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: