rs30

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i am runing a fowlr should it be live sand if i do uses live sand how do you go about keeping it claen. are There invers that the fish will not eat? Thanks

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
if i am runing a fowlr should it be live sand if i do uses live sand how do you go about keeping it claen. are There invers that the fish will not eat? Thanks

You know all sand turns to 'live' sand. Dead sand cycles and becomes 'alive'.

Either way the sand is going to cycle for a month or more when you start the tank.

Normal water changes, GFO, and a basic CUC should keep it clean. Basically just try, and you will succeed.

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
The term Live sand is loosely used.

Personally i would skip spending the extra money on live sand and simply buy regular reef grade sand. Rinse well and add to the tank. Like Matt said dry sand will become "live sand" shortly.

When they state the sand is live, that doesn't mean there's any visible critters just living bacteria. The literature they post sounds enticing but i would pass especially on a large tank.

i have used it on nano tanks in the past because i was under the impression i wouldn't have to rinse. i was wrong. Using well rinsed dry sand is the way to go.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: