Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I just came back from collecting amphipods and there is nothing but crabs where there should be amphipods. All my life I have been collecting amphipods but now all of the available space is over run with tiny 1/8" japanese Shore Crabs. Millions of them, billions, nothing but crabs.
I also got shrimp and these wierd looking things that I have always called stick things. They are, well stick looking things with long arms, legs, pincers and more arms, legs pincers etc. I have always collected them but I never found out what they are. I dump them in my reef but I don't think they thrive because I never find any in a few days.
I will try to take a picture but they are tiny so I doubt that will work.
So now I have hundreds of crabs that I can't put in my reef and no amphipods.
I have a rope hanging in the water near my boat and I usually lift it and let the amphipods fall into a bucket. All tiny crabs, not one amphipod so I assume the crabs are eating them. I am not sure what this will do to the eco system but next year we will be over run with these crabs.
There is also a lot of that red sponge that I feed to moorish Idols but I don't have an idol now so I didn't collect any of that.
Crabs crabs crabs crabs crabs :help:

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
anytime species are added into an ecosystem where they do not belong there is always a potential threat to out compete native species. Especially if there are no available natural predators to invasive species.
We see it all over... South American cichlids in Florida, Silver carp in the Mississippi River, Snakeheads in waterways all across the US. Mussels in Lake Michigan. All of these are threats to ecosystems.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I've been going to this little tiny beach in Port Washington for a couple of years now with my kids, and every summer I bring snails, hermit crabs and this type of pods that thrives in my tank, btw the snails thrive as well, the hermits usually last for a few months. Since is a bay already located in the Long Island sound, I guess is pretty well protected. Lots of sea life there. Hope this helps. My mandarin dragonet loves this pods and got even fatter and healthier since last year.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Thats where i hang out in my boat every weekend. I was just there.
This is the tide pool I collect in across the street from Leeds pond in Port Washington
Project6.png

And it is behind me here in my boat.
Nothing but Japanese Shore crabs now, no more amphipods

P7180314.jpg

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
those crabs can be made into a good fish food... collect them all squeeze the meat out of them and feed to fish tank... and you'll be doing a few good things... removing them from a local ecosystem.. and feeding tank... win win situation

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: