scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
i got this rbta from jung when he was breaking down his tank. it was getting ridiculously large. last night i was adjusting the pre-skimmer box on my remora and tried to move a rock next to the rbta but it wouldn't budge. i noticed the rbta was holding onto this rock too. so i left it alone. this morning i woke up to find two rbtas. do they split overnight?

i don't plan to sell it. i'd like to keep it. what's better than one rbta splitting? ........ TWO!

Last edited:

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
From what I've read, many BTAs split when under stress of some kind. You sure you didn't rip it a little? Overnight seems pretty quick, but not unheard of.

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
overnight seemed very quick. this thing was itchin to split anyway. no rip deanos. there is a rbta about two inches away from the original one. wouldn't it be crazy if it happened last week or something and i never noticed. impossible. since i'm watching this thing every day. lately it would strech like a tree, about 6" from the rock. and spread about 6" in circumfrence.

drunkfish13

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
mine just split somtime this weekend it was getting very large so i am glad. it was probally a foot accross before it split. i nocited the last few weeks it looked like there were almost two of them but when i feed it it closed together. looked in yesterday and now there are two.

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
bad news. i guess this is what i get for not selling one to kasei. i was setting up a new 15g for my rbta/clowns and both rbtas got sucked up by PHs. the first one was sucked up by a mag 5 while i was attempting to drain the tank and the other one was sucked into the two little holes the mj1200 have on the top. they are doing ok. thankfully they did not get shredded up. i did almost a 100% water change this morning. wish me luck guys

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
scarf_ace1981 said:
bad news. i guess this is what i get for not selling one to kasei. i was setting up a new 15g for my rbta/clowns and both rbtas got sucked up by PHs. the first one was sucked up by a mag 5 while i was attempting to drain the tank and the other one was sucked into the two little holes the mj1200 have on the top. they are doing ok. thankfully they did not get shredded up. i did almost a 100% water change this morning. wish me luck guys

srry to hear that Jon

you use a pump to drain out your tank/? why not just use a hose and siphon the water out

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
long story short the tank was on a dolly (basically on the floor) and the sump is sitting higher so gravity would not let me siphon. i was in a rush and decided to set this tank up before i left:banghead:. that's what happens when you don't take your time. one thing i don't have is patience and boy oh boy, does reefing take patience.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: