Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I figured out all of my 100 gallon reef tank costs, including electricity but not including any livestock because I can buy or not buy whatever I want and I do give away a lot of livestock when it gets too big.

Here is my costs, I know most people spend way more but that is their chioce.
These costs are yearly

ASW $120.00 I didn't figure in the NSW that I sometimes use
live blackworms $104 I feed live worms every day
Brine shrimp eggs $40.00 I hatch shrimp every day
Mysis $60.00
clams $25.00
fish oil $5.00
Ice melter for calcium $5.00
baking soda $5.00
Epsom salt $5.00
electricity $580.00

Total $949.00 for the year. Or $2.69 a day. Not to bad.

I figured my electricity costs 15 cents per KW/hr (I think)
So I figured my lights, and heater are on for 12 hours so I figured half of their power for the entire day. The 5 pumps that I use are on all day.
Total electricity costs me $580.00. My electric is actually cheaper because I have solar panels but I didn't figure that in.

My boat in comparism costs me over $10,000.00 with me doing all of the maintenance and if I don't need any parts, that includes gas,marina fees, insurance etc. So I figure this hobby is ten times cheaper.
smile.gif

I did forget resins so that is about another $60.00 a year:rolleyes:

44santababy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Now that my tank is stable, stocked, and in harmony i think i could run my 120gal reef tank for less than $1000 a year easily. I started in Oct. so i'll keep track starting this Oct. The initial setup, stocking, and finding balance is what cost me thousands. Now that the tank reached its happy place maintenance and costs have decreased drastically.

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
wow, that really is low for electricity! what pumps are you using? heaters? also, in manhattan we are (or i am) closer to 19 or 20 cents per kWh.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
in manhattan we are (or i am) closer to 19 or 20 cents per kWh.
I am in Long Island and I guessed on the price of electric, I am to lazy to get an old electric bill to look it up so if it is 20 cents a KW/HR I will have to add $100.00 per year for electric.
I don't remember what pumps I am using, they are all over 20 years old, especially the older steam driven models. :shhh:

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
Wow that's cheap Paul!!! I need to go Green
My office tanks cost $450 just in electric a month!!!!!
I spend $100 just on salt a month........
Lipa thinks I was growing illegal stuff when I had all MH bulbs on 6 tanks!!!!

You would be growing green if you were growing those "potted" plants, lol...

I'm about 1/2 where you are on electricity and salt each month.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: