Jarrett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
I always run my reef at an alk of 8.4-8.7 because i always thought that was best being closest to the natural sea water level. i have been reading a lot of articles lately about people running there reefs no lower then 10. and that growth is much better at that high of a level. before i go about raising my alkalinity i wanted to get your guys opinion on that?

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I always run my reef at an alk of 8.4-8.7 because i always thought that was best being closest to the natural sea water level. i have been reading a lot of articles lately about people running there reefs no lower then 10. and that growth is much better at that high of a level. before i go about raising my alkalinity i wanted to get your guys opinion on that?

I keep mine at 8 ~ 9. I find that keeping it in a more natural range (for my tank anyway), I dont have to test and dose as much.

Jarrett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
thanks for the reply guys. I dnt really test that much anymore eithier its very consistent at 8.4 and I like it that way so ill keep it the way it is. just figured I'd get some second opinions

FaviaFreak

Aquarium Village
Rating - 93.6%
44   3   0
if you plan on dosing a carbon source or certain additives than a lower Dkh help protects against burnt tips and peeling of acros..nothing wrong with running a higher Dkh either, just don't do it with carbon dosing

Last edited:

magicalmets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I was having the same problem. People recommend between 8-12, so i decided to go with the middle number which is 10. Now SPS are doing great. I have a birds of paradise that lost all its color and turned completely white now the polyps are turning purple and the base is turning green.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: