• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

MikeC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
Sorry in advance for the lengthy post :)

My current tank is a sps dominant 120 reef ready w/ duel drain to the sump.
I currently have a 1800 mag drive into a Y for my returns over the back of the tank (running the Herby method) with a DIY 40g breeder sump/ASM G-3 Skimmer/return/refuge. 1mp 40 and 2 mp10's. I like my flow!

If your aware of the Herby method you use gate valves on the returns to the sump to adjust water hight for your stand pipes.
My concern and reason for the post is I know my gate valves can be opened more if I had a bigger return pump, which in turn would mean more flow to the DT.

Now I read somewhere the turn over rate for a sps reef tank should be about 10 times the water volume of the tank, in my case total water volume is approximately 130gal so that would mean 1300GPH.

Well according to a head loss calculator I found on RC (sorry hope it's ok to post that link)
http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/hlc...Couplings=0&CheckValves=1&Exits=2&Entrances=1

My 1800 Mag Drive is only putting out 861GPH. Not close to the recommended 1300 GPH.

According to that same head loss calculator a Mag Drive 1200
Puts out 728 GPH

So finally to the question: Do you think It would be better off running 2 Mag Drive 1200's
With a total of 1456GPH.(the 2400 only puts out 1050GPH)
Naturally I would have a defer back to the sump with a ball vale to adjust the flow and also teeing off for two reactors ( Carbon & GFO)

Has anyone done this?
To me it seems to make sense on paper lol

Your thoughts ?

Thanks
MikeC

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Your Vortech pumps are providing your tank with all the flow it needs. Your sump flow is running perfect IMO. Too fast and the water flies by the skimmer without an opportunity for the skimmer to do its job.

First question I should have asked, is your tank doing well?

Russ

MikeC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
Thanks for the responses guys.

Russ the tank is dooing well but in the never ending persuit to do the very best I can for my reef would I be better off getting a better/larger skimmer that can process more GPH? I also have the space to maybe add a compartment to the sump with rubble rock to flow threw creating more filtration?

MikeC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
I believe that skimmer is rated up to 250g, double what your using it on.

I know maybe I'm missing something? You say using on it.
My return pump is currently passing 861GPH threw the DT,down to the sump and past the skimmer, that is only abel to process 250GPH.

so wouldnt it be beneficial to run more water threw say a larger skimmer that can skim more water?

Or does the recomended 10 times your water volume threw you systum have nothing to do with filtration and only has to do with recomended flow and that's why I have enough with my mag1800 and my 3 vortechs.

Maybe Im just trying to fix something that ain't broke?

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
I'm not sure what you mean exactly, but i would not factor in the skimmer into your equation. It reads to me like your on point and should leave things be if tank is doing well. I would buy another mp before changing pumps, but i don't see it gaining you much if you do. You have good flow in tank. Two return pumps is nice if one fails, so that's a viable option for you

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm not sure what you mean exactly, but i would not factor in the skimmer into your equation. It reads to me like your on point and should leave things be if tank is doing well. I would buy another mp before changing pumps, but i don't see it gaining you much if you do. You have good flow in tank. Two return pumps is nice if one fails, so that's a viable option for you

The skimmer supports up to a 250g tank, not a 250gph flow... there should be separate flow requirements listed for your skimmer.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: