beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
So I'm getting ready to move, and once the move is done, I'm going to jump back in to the big tank game. I've had tanks ranging from 2.5g to 75g in the past, and I'm planning on pushing the 90+ range on this one.

A cube tank will let me cut cost a bit on lighting and flow, so I'm leaning towards a cube so that I can get better quality equipment, instead of more equipment. I'd also like to make the tank as energy efficient as possible and give myself as much room as possible on the interior of the tank.

Tank
A starfire 30x30x30 tank will put me at about 115 gallons, and if I do a built in external overflow, I'll eliminate any loss from an overflow box. That size tank should let me keep basically any fish that I'm interested in.

Stand
I'm planning on custom building the stand with magnetic panels on two sides. This should provide room to access everything easily. I'm undecided on a canopy, or if I'd prefer the tank open, but I'm leaning towards a canopy so that I can add a mesh top without ruining the aesthetics of the tank. (I've been known to like fish that jump.)

Flow
I briefly considered a closed loop, but the efficiency is terrible, and they don't have a battery backup option, so I'm leaning towards an MP40 solution. I'm inclined to attempt one MP40 at first, and add another MP40, or MP10 if needed.

Lighting
I've always been an MH guy, but I think I'm going to make the jump to LED lighting, simply because I love the natural effects available on a few of the fixtures. I've been looking at the AI Vega, and the Ecotech Radions, although I'll wait for the review for the Vega once it's out before making a decision.

Filtration
I'm undecided on a skimmer. I have an ASM G3 that will work for this size tank, but it's bulky and cumbersome to work with in a small area, so I may look into a smaller cone skimmer. I'll run reactors for carbon and phosban and the tank will have plenty of live rock, as well as filter socks.

Substrate
I'm undecided on what type of substrate I'll use, but it will be an SSB. The ocean has sand, my tank will have sand. I hate the bare bottom look.

Misc
Heating will be done with redundant non-glass submersible heaters, if chilling is necessary, I'll hook up a chiller. I plan to seed the tank and allow it to cycle for an extended period to build up a pod population and ensure stability. I did this with my 75g, and was able to keep a mandarin for years with no issues, so I'd like to get another one when the time is right.

So... Any thoughts on the plan so far?

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
There is a nice 200 dd tank for sale in marketplace. It would br 48x30 something awesome tanks I believe it comes with stand too. Not sure if you were planning custom tank built or not

Yeah, I'm planning to do a custom built tank. If I go 48" I'm looking at the need for more lights and more flow, so I'm looking to stay at around 30", which is the perfect size for one LED fixture.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
The Ecotech claims to cover the majority of a 30" x 30" area, and with an island formation, it should be perfect.
I looked but didn't see that info...I would say it's impossible for a rectangular fixture to evenly cover a square area...If you plan on doing the center island, then I agree the one fixture could be perfect for you...BUT...

Yeah, I'm planning to do a custom built tank. If I go 48" I'm looking at the need for more lights and more flow,
...if you have the room for a larger tank, do it now...when you decide to expand past the center island, you'll just need to add another light.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I looked but didn't see that info...I would say it's impossible for a rectangular fixture to evenly cover a square area...If you plan on doing the center island, then I agree the one fixture could be perfect for you...BUT...

...if you have the room for a larger tank, do it now...when you decide to expand past the center island, you'll just need to add another light.

I do have the room, but this is as big as I want to go before I buy a house. When I eventually buy a house, I'll look at an in-wall 200+, but I can always add a light on the cube if I need to.

Since it will be a mixed reef, with minimal SPS... I'm thinking the one will work to get started. Then again... I've been wrong before. :eek:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: