Ariel110G

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
So my 1st try with bio pellets was not so successful,after 2 months of having it running it looked like the pellets where just decaying& they were not tumbling good, I don?t think I had the right amount of flow.I have the Two Little Reactor with a Quiet One 1200 296GPH pump

So I will like to know what flow/gph you run for the biopellets & if you have it connected to another reactor that has carbon for exampleso you use just one pump??

Thanks for the help.

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
So my 1st try with bio pellets was not so successful,after 2 months of having it running it looked like the pellets where just decaying& they were not tumbling good, I don?t think I had the right amount of flow.I have the Two Little Reactor with a Quiet One 1200 296GPH pump

So I will like to know what flow/gph you run for the biopellets & if you have it connected to another reactor that has carbon for exampleso you use just one pump??

Thanks for the help.

I had a Phosban 150 Reactor with a Mag drive 3 running the NPX Biopellets and it did wonders for me. I would not run two reactors in tandem (back to back), IMO separate reactors work best. Did you use the plastic screen instead of the black foam disc? Just wondering. I believe the recommended flow is 250-300 gph. They entire column should be tumbling slowly. Hope this helps.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
imho, the two little fishies phosban 150 reactor is not good enough to run the biopellets. you need room (height) and a strong pump to give the pellets a good tumbling. i've gone through the 150, 550 and a modified precision marine phosban reactor and they all have limitations since they are not really designed for the bigger and heavier pellets.
you should get a purposely design reactor for that task......i prefer the reef octopus biopellet reactor. wider input and output, cone bottom, and mesh screen are some of the features that make this one different than others. get a stronger pump than recommended and valve it to control the tumbling....(also to fine tune the flow later when you need to add more pellets).
i've been running the pellets for about 3 years now and love it.....300 gal sps dominated mixed reef.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reactors/biopellet-reactors/super-reef-octopus-biopellet-reactor.html

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
The entire key and success with biopellets is the reactor and pellets with less fillers.
They must tumble ALOT! The output flow needs to be adjustable. The output tube needs to fed into the skimmer. You may be able to eliminate gfo if this is working for you.

Ariel110G

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
The entire key and success with biopellets is the reactor and pellets with less fillers.
They must tumble ALOT! The output flow needs to be adjustable. The output tube needs to fed into the skimmer. You may be able to eliminate gfo if this is working for you.

Thanks for the help bklyreef, but do you agree with tomtoothdoc about the size, my tank is a 110G & I have the two little fishies 150 reactor? and what type of reactor setup you have?

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
im not familiar with your reactor but if it isnt a turbulent tumble then is not doing much and if it is tumbling like it should then your output should have a valve to restrict how much flow is entering your skimmer or the system.
Reef dynamics has the best reactor around but im sure you can get away with cheaper models for smaller tanks.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Over the course of using bio-pellets for the past 2-3 years, I find that a rolling boil is what is really needed vs all the recommendations and also manufacturer's instructions for a slow tumble or soft boil. Less chances of clumping and bacterial mulm within the reactor.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: