• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
So I found some thin, glassy, branching hydroids in my tank. I also have what could be the other type, more feather duster looking type but I'm not sure how to identify them. Does anyone know of a guide for identifying the different types? Specifically for identifying the difference between a hydroid and feather duster.

Also, has anyone ever used hydroxs for treating hydroids?

Hydroxs - http://www.fishtothenth.com/Hydroxs.htm

Last edited:

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Manual removal is probably your best bet. I had some digitate hydroids; clear stem with a bulb like attached to its end and would come out at night to feed, those disappeared over time and never came back. Other people not so lucky. I had some Colonial Hydroids as well, took over a rock within a month, those were a PITA. At the end I just took the rock out and used a blow torch on it for about 30 seconds and never seen another since.

Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Right now the majority are on the stalk of a large colony of neon torch. The talk is quite long, I'm wondering if I can't just pull it out and lightly dremel the surface where the hydroids are. There is only one section that they are near the head of the torch.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: