• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

savage

Reef for life. .
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Yeah out of a 10 i give it a 6. Many documentaries on turtles ,whales etc not enough of them on corals and small living creatures within the reef. I guess as a hobbyist i was expecting to much from this

I still like BBC ver...But they should have more details on the microscopic creatures that's help feed the coral reef....

Last edited:

jgraz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I see it turned out to be the one originally produced by BBC from what you're sharing. Amazing show and wait for the 3rd part, definitely one of the best reef documentaries out there.

No def not that version. This had the feel of a one episode. I was hoping for the series. I think it actually aired a few months back but most of us did not have the opportunity to see it.

Paolissimo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
One thing I got from the documentary is about the coral bleaching. I know that when I coral bleaches, the zooxanthellae leave the coral and the coral is still alive. The documentary said that, the zooxanthellae can return. You see, I bleached my coral back in July, when I switched to new more powerful lights. My acro had purple tips, but it is now all white, it's still alive, but just white. The documentary (if I understood it correctly)says that the algae will return to the coral, from what I understand they are floating around the water column. In our closed aquarium, if a coral bleaches, what are the chances for the zooxanthellae to return? I am assuming zero, because my acro is still alive, but it's totally white.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
One thing I got from the documentary is about the coral bleaching. I know that when I coral bleaches, the zooxanthellae leave the coral and the coral is still alive. The documentary said that, the zooxanthellae can return. You see, I bleached my coral back in July, when I switched to new more powerful lights. My acro had purple tips, but it is now all white, it's still alive, but just white. The documentary (if I understood it correctly)says that the algae will return to the coral, from what I understand they are floating around the water column. In our closed aquarium, if a coral bleaches, what are the chances for the zooxanthellae to return? I am assuming zero, because my acro is still alive, but it's totally white.

Color will return as long as the coral is still alive.;) It has happened in my tank, it just takes time.:) Be patient.:)

I agree with others on that I wished they spent less time on turtles, whales, and sharks, but then again the documentary was not suppose to be about Corals, but the "Great Barrier Reef".:wink1:

Paolissimo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Color will return as long as the coral is still alive.;) It has happened in my tank, it just takes time.:) Be patient.:)

I agree with others on that I wished they spent less time on turtles, whales, and sharks, but then again the documentary was not suppose to be about Corals, but the "Great Barrier Reef".:wink1:
Awi, it's been quiet a few months now, I believe I switched lights at the beginning of july...coral is still white...I might post this question on the general forum, because now I am curious...Awi, did you move the coral that was bleached to a shaded place?

jgraz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
What is sea trek? Never heard of it.
Blue planet was a series, 5 parts I think. Each part focused on a different area of the ocean. There was also a great barrier reef series on bbc2 several months back.

savage

Reef for life. .
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
What is sea trek? Never heard of it.
Blue planet was a series, 5 parts I think. Each part focused on a different area of the ocean. There was also a great barrier reef series on bbc2 several months back.

correct Blue planet was a 5 part min series is that was your talking about?? I still can't figure out which show you mean?? As for Sea Trek I found it on youtube not impressed ..

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Awi, it's been quiet a few months now, I believe I switched lights at the beginning of july...coral is still white...I might post this question on the general forum, because now I am curious...Awi, did you move the coral that was bleached to a shaded place?

No, I didn't move it! Might be the different circumstance as to why they bleached. Mine was due to pars, once the pars were back in order it took a few months for it to color back up. I don't exactly remember how long it took.

:backtotop: Most important for me of the show was how bleaching occurs in Nature as well, made me feel a little better about the couple of mishaps in my glass box.:happysad:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: