• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Oddomatic

Reef Enthusiast
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so like I've said, I am new to the reef scene and am going to be cycling my 22 gallon reef nano shortly. I have done plenty of research, but I want to hear some tips from the pro's out there. Please help me avoid making silly newby mistakes by giving me some guidance here... Thanks.

jgraz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Put the shrimp or whatever you use to start cycle in tank. Wait awhile for it to start to decompose. Start checking for ammonia. If you are adding any live rock it will boost the cycle along by adding the benificial bacteria. If no live rock/sand it will take longer for the bacteria to start to grow. I suggest adding a least a small piece of live rock. Once you start getting ammonia reading monitor till it comes up zero. Then start testing for nitrites. Again test till it comes to zero. Then you should get reading for nitrates. Cycle is complete after Amm and nitrites are zero.
An alternative to shrimp is to get pure ammonia, not household stuff. Dose to reading of 4ppm on Amm test. Then continue as above. You can find the ammonia usually at hardware stores like ACE.

Last edited:

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
The shrimp isn't necessary, but is a common way to kickstart a cycle. Basically you want to introduce a source of ammonia to kick off the cycle. If you get live rock, there's usually enough die-off in transit that you'll have the ammonia needed, you can also add some fish food, add a hardy fish (NOT RECOMMENDED) or (I'm not kidding...) pee in the tank.

Since peeing in the tank is just weird, adding a live fish is cruel, and die-off or fish food take a bit longer to convert to ammonia, the shrimp is a more commonly accepted practice.

I've never used a shrimp, and my tank has always naturally cycled in 4-6 weeks.

While some people advise to leave your filter and lights off during the cycle, I tend to run my tank just as I plan to run it with livestock after the cycle. By running lights and my skimmer, I not only get through the ammonia cycle, but I also get through the algae cycle, and ensure that everything is running properly before I add any livestock. The only tank maintenance that I skip during a cycle is water changes.

Rating - 100%
92   0   0
All methods work as posted but if you don't mind spending a little you can buy dr. tims one and only....it cycled my brothers tank in 36 hours but it can take more or less, if you go this route I would just give the tank a.couple weeks to stabilize before adding corals but you can add fish/inverts as soon as the doctor tims finishes up, as short as 6-12 hours and as long as a few days just be ready to test....

Sent from my PC36100 using Reefs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: