Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Hi MR, i'm gonna be getting my Apex in a few days and have a question as to where to plug my eqiupment. I'm getting the full Apex and I've heard that outlets 1-3 and 5-7 are different than outlets 4 and 8 in the sense that those outlets are activated with mechnical relays. They have a distinct click whenever they switch on/off.I heard that over time they can 'arc' (basically a small spark) and have their contacts 'pit' (a black crusty residue) as a result. On the other hand outlets 1-3 and 5-7 are TRIAC (Triode for Alternating Current) solid state outlets. They are silent, compact and capable of hundreds of thousands of on/off cycles. I'm gonna be using a return pump, skimmer pump, 2 Vortech MP40's, 2 AI Vega Color units, pellet reactor and a refugium light. In what outlets do you guys have your equipment plugged in? Does it matter since it has 8 outlets?:thanks: Thanks in advance for you help

:thanks:

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
Anything that stays on, can go anywhere.
The ones which go on and off multiple times throughout the day should go on the 1-3 and 5-7.
The only exception from what I've read is if the device you're plugging in uses extremely little power, the outlet might not sense anything to turn on/off (I forget if it stays on or off), and would need to be plugged in the 4 or 8. I've yet to find something which uses that little power though.

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
The ones which go on and off multiple times throughout the day should go on the 1-3 and 5-7.
The only exception from what I've read is if the device you're plugging in uses extremely little power, the outlet might not sense anything to turn on/off (I forget if it stays on or off), and would need to be plugged in the 4 or 8. I've yet to find something which uses that little power though.

Great, thanks for the info. I'm a little overwhelmed and I haven't received it yet. I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out. I guess I'll plug my skimmer and the refugium light on outlets 4 and 8. What are your thoughts on that? Thanks again for your advice.

cryptics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
130   0   0

I had to use 4 and 8 for my bulk reef supply dosing pumps. They sometimes stay on in the others.

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
IMO these could be plugged up into ant outlet on 1-3 5-7 since they wont be turning off and on frequently. I use outlets 4,8 for BRS dosing pumps and Toms aqualifter pump because of the little power they draw
return pump
skimmer pump
pellet reactor
refugium light

i dont think these two items will need to be plugged up to the apex. thge outlets will only be capable of turning on or off. it would be better to plug straight into a regular outlet. vortech can be controlled Via additional part WMX. and thge AI Vega could be controlled using neptune VDM module.
2 Vortech MP40's
2 AI Vega Color units

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
wait just realized i may be wrong about the Vegas... they are wireless so i am assuming they cannot be controlled by apex.

either way the only reason to plug up a vortech or AI fixture to an Apex outlet is to cut power in case of an emergency

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
wait just realized i may be wrong about the Vegas... they are wireless so i am assuming they cannot be controlled by apex.

either way the only reason to plug up a vortech or AI fixture to an Apex outlet is to cut power in case of an emergency

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I'm not getting the module for the Vortech as you won't get all the modes (As per sales person in Premium Aquatics) and the AI will be controlled by the wireless controller (Apex doesn't support them yet) and I plan on getting the new controller for the AI (The Director) just have to wait for it to be unveiled at MACNA. Does that makes sense? Thanks.

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
IMO these could be plugged up into ant outlet on 1-3 5-7 since they wont be turning off and on frequently. I use outlets 4,8 for BRS dosing pumps and Toms aqualifter pump because of the little power they draw
return pump
skimmer pump
pellet reactor
refugium light

i dont think these two items will need to be plugged up to the apex. thge outlets will only be capable of turning on or off. it would be better to plug straight into a regular outlet. vortech can be controlled Via additional part WMX. and thge AI Vega could be controlled using neptune VDM module.
2 Vortech MP40's
2 AI Vega Color units

Ok, so what should I plug into outlets 4 and 8?
Here is my equipment list:\
Skimmer pump
return pump
2 Vortech MP40
2 AI Vega
TLF Biopellet reactor's pump
Refugium light

Thanks again

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: