JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
48 hours, no power, no generator. Battery powered air pumps and boiling tank water to try to maintain temp.

Wondering if I can find a generator if it would even be worth it with the gas shortage going on.

Reminds me of when we went down for the relief effort of Katrina. Dark everywhere. Only difference New Orleans was a ghost town.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Well I kept putting off the generator thing and it bit me in the butt. I'm usually highly prepared with things but not this time. 8 weeks from now or so I'll be getting one if I don't before and the next storm I will have all 10 of my 5 gallon cans full with gas treated with stabilizer.

Propane would have been just as bad. At home depot the other day they were raiding that as well. No biggie, I'll survive and I'm pretty sure my fish will too, I just will NOT be caught wih my pants around my ankles not wearing any underwear again.

Rating - 99.5%
204   1   0
yea i understand ,i luckly had no power outage, but also had a couple of generators on hand just in case lent them all out ,but 3 of my 4 generators were gas and one propane and its been easier for my buddy with my propane gen. to find propane than actual gas ..places by me still have plenty of them..

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
You could also look into bi fuel or tri fuel generators. Fry posted a link to yamaha generators that run a combination of liquid propane and gasoline and natural gas. I'll look for the link

If you could run a gas line from your house to your generator that would be the most convenient but not as economical.

I was borrowing my neighbors honda eu2000i generator and it ran through 1 gallon in about 10 hours.

Waited on line for about 1 hour and change for gas on Tuesday

Bottom line is start preparing now for the next storm

Last edited:

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I was at my Yamaha dealer in town that I bought all my motorcycles through. I refuse to pay what Yamaha wants for their generators. Sure they're inverted and are "clean" so you can hook sensitive electronics up to them but:

$870 for a 1000W
$1100 for a 2000W
$1480 for a 2400W
All the way up to
$3400 for a 4500W
And I forget the prices for the 5300 and 6200's. Then they're hourly ratings are all great until you read that the rating are at 1/4 load. Who buys a generator 4 times the size of what they need. Unless you want to be out there filling up ev?ry 2-3 hours that's what you need to do.

Now I absolutely love Yamaha products I won't pay that crazy of a price so I can charge my cell phone off it without worrying about dirty sine waves toasting it.

Also, that was just the normal gas only ones. I could only imagine what the multi fuel ones go for.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Hey jimmy,
I have extra tanks and full power. I just don't have salt to mix new water. I offered this to another member just before and I'd be happy to accommodate. I have 30 long, 20 breeder and 55 long. I have a Ro and 44 brute pail but no salt :(

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: