• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Any long time users of nylon mesh filter bags out there?
I have been using the 100 micron polypropylene felt for the last 10 years and was thinking of making a switch to the nylon mesh for ease of cleaning.
What micron size are you guys using for the nylon mesh, 100 or smaller?
Also, how goes the material hold up?
TIA

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
I am using the nylon mesh bags.. while it does take out the larger particles, the finest micro particles will eventually get into the sump. While this may not be a bother to some, you will eventually see a detritus build up. Normal maintenance of cleaning out your sump will take care of that though.

I switched over 2 years ago, and only keep my felt bags as back up if/when I am too lazy to rinse the nylon bags out under water... which is just much quicker and easy maintenance as opposed to cleaning the felt in my washing machine.

LongIslandAndy

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
+1 perfect answer

I am using the nylon mesh bags.. while it does take out the larger particles, the finest micro particles will eventually get into the sump. While this may not be a bother to some, you will eventually see a detritus build up. Normal maintenance of cleaning out your sump will take care of that though.

I switched over 2 years ago, and only keep my felt bags as back up if/when I am too lazy to rinse the nylon bags out under water... which is just much quicker and easy maintenance as opposed to cleaning the felt in my washing machine.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: