scubajay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I have a dilemma and need advice on what to do. I have a 57 gallon rimless reef tank that has been set up since March 2012. My wife and I are looking to move from Queens to New Jersey sometime in January. Right now I?m 50/50 on whether I should stay in the hobby or sell everything. I may have a lot work to do in the new house that it may limit the attention I currently give to the tank. If I decide to keep the set up how hard would it be to move the tank to the new location. Do I need to sell the fish and corals and start from scratch or can I move everything to the new location without any problems. What steps should I take when moving the system from one location to another?

Livestock
2 Clown Fish
1 Blue Tang
1 Green Chromis
1 Diamond Watchman Goby
1 Firefish
1 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Red Blood Shrimp

Corals
1 Anemone
5 Red Mushrooms
1 Plate
1 Red Moti Cap (It looks like it may be dying, I?ve had it for about 3 months)
1 Frogspawn (3 heads)
1 Candycane (14 heads)
Cleanup crew
70 PDS of live rock
Live sand

Equipment
57 Gallon Rimless
1 Ecotech Radion
3 Powerheads (2 in the tank and the other to mix the salt)
30 gallon sump
2 Little Fishies Phosban Reactors
Octopus 110 skimmer
Eheim 1260 pump
5 stage RODI unit
2 Ten gallon buckets
2 Five gallon buckets
2 Heaters
1 Reefkeeper Elite Plus

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
just setup a temporary holding tank in the new home or if you know someone in that area can hold your livestock while your setting up the new house. Please note this is a bad time to move livestock in unstable conditions cause of the temps and distance you might be traveling.

Where in Jersey?

I would only worry about the blue tang as that is your most expensive fish and tangs are known to stress easy causing ich.

Unless those are designer clownfish then I would just put them in a stable holding tank without worry.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Sucks. I am the next town over and only sitting on a 7.5 mr aqua tank while I wait to purchase my house. I would put a "help wanted in bergen county area". There are several very helpful reefers around here.

If noone else can help, I have a 20gal frag tank sitting in my storage that you can utilize. What I would suggest is putting about 20 gallons of water aside when you initially purchase the house and I'll help you setup the frag tank. I have a chinese 120w 3watt fixture + pump.

Things you would need:

stand or something that can hold the tank
sufficient heater
water (preferably from your current tank)
LR/LS from your current tank

This would be good until you are ready to move the display tank, seed it and then ready to move all your other inhabitants over.

I'm not in a rush to buy and don't think it'll happen until early next year so you are open to use it!!!!

HAPPY REEFING!!!

scubajay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Thanks buddy I appreciate the offer. It's good to know there are still good people out there. I will definitely keep you in mind. We should close on the house sometime in December and move in the middle of January.

fancy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
@scubajay not sure if this would be any help to you but i am located in orange nj and i have space if you would like to setup a temp tank at my apt until you get your system going i can tell you from experience that it can be done i moved my tank from long island to NJ and my fish made it ok all i used was a few battery air pumps and i was very lucky to find someone to hold my fish until i got my tank going again the corals did not make it only my anemone made it., i cannot assure you that all your fish would make it i can only tell you how i did mine and offer you my help. with that being said if i'm too far for you i can also lend you some battery powered air pumps and buckets if needed... p.s the air pumps i only used for fish for live rock i used big garbage bins and a heater

scubajay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Cool fancy, thanks. How did you transport the live stock and did you use anything to keep the water at a certain temperature. When you set up the tank in your new place did you have to go through the whole cycling process. How long before you added your fish to the tank.

tangy84

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
U'll be fine, put the fish and corals in bags, and put them in styrofoam containers, and get a bunch of 5 gal buckets from home depot for water and rock so it can be easy to carry. and I would just get plain dead sand to avoid the cycle (it will be seaded with the rock) and if you have nassarius snails, just feed after you take out the rocks and when they come out of the sand, just pick them up.

fancy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
u'll be fine, put the fish and corals in bags, and put them in styrofoam containers, and get a bunch of 5 gal buckets from home depot for water and rock so it can be easy to carry. And i would just get plain dead sand to avoid the cycle (it will be seaded with the rock) and if you have nassarius snails, just feed after you take out the rocks and when they come out of the sand, just pick them up.

+1

fancy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
just do as above and you will be fine., in my situation i had to go thru a cycle again because i had left 200 pounds of live rock in two 30 gallon garbage bins with no water movement or heat even do i took almost all the old water with me it was useless but in ur case you should be ok and because of my cycle again i took a month to ad the fish in again just to be on the safe side.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: