Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been adding Alkaline8.3 to the tank to bring my PH level up to 8.3. The tank been stuck between 7.8 and 8.05 and won't go up any more. I have gradually been adding the alkaline8.3 as recommended, waiting it's 24 hours before adding more.

I currently have a 120Gal tank with a 35gal sump. I only added Tim's one and only bacteria and also added a small cleaning crew.

But I am getting a shipment today and while noticing the glass being covered with a white lining, I tested the parameters of the tank and the Calcium is 430, but the alkalinity is 300. I think this is what's causing the white layer on the glass. Is this going to be harm to the shipment that I'm adding in, it's mostly invertibrates, now can I lower the alkalinity and how can I get rid of the white lining on the glass, I can't even take it out with a blade.

Having a difficult time uploading an image. If not I would post an image.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank been running for a bout a month. I'm ussing the Hanna instrument test kits. I have a 120 Gal Oceanic tank with a 35 gal sump. T5 system, and basically I just mixed salt and RODI water added the Dr. Tim One and only and a small cleaning crew. That's all I've done with the tank, besides trying to raise the PH by adding Alkaliity8.3

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Tank been running for a bout a month. I'm ussing the Hanna instrument test kits. I have a 120 Gal Oceanic tank with a 35 gal sump. T5 system, and basically I just mixed salt and RODI water added the Dr. Tim One and only and a small cleaning crew. That's all I've done with the tank, besides trying to raise the PH by adding Alkaliity8.3

If your tank as been up for 1 month only. It's still cycling give your tank another 3-4 months more before adding a CUC IMO.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Dr. Tim's one and only. Which is suppose to prevent new tank syndrome. But this sympton is not a cycling symptom, its high alkalinity. I was trying to raise the PH level and it didn't and it raised the alkalinity level instead.

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
I use Dr. Tim's one and only. Which is suppose to prevent new tank syndrome. But this sympton is not a cycling symptom, its high alkalinity. I was trying to raise the PH level and it didn't and it raised the alkalinity level instead.

Regardless what you used your tank is still not mature. Have you checked your other levels beside pH calcium and alk?

Ziggy

PADI Instructor
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
In my opinnion Let you tank to cycle and stop adding anything, pH will stabilize by it self just give some time, I know is hard to watch an empty tank and wait thru all the cycle, but in this hobby you can't rush,

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
The white layer can be numerous things.

Probably from the sand, new sand tends to chalk up the glass. let the tank cycle while you read. Search the internet and read posts from new marine keepers and youll learn.

DRENALYN9

HALF-A-FLIP
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
It literally took months before my new sand settled (It was live reef sand). It takes months before the tank balances. And thats if everything goes they way it's supposed too. The Next issue may be cyano. Patience and not touching The tank is the key.
Allow the ecosystem build itself, the only thing you should he doing is giving the aquarium the best parameters you can.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: