Trump

ReefO'
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of building a new stand for a 6' long, 125 gallon reef tank full of rock w/ about 3-4" of sand. The reason for the new stand is I would like for it to be higher then the average stand and no middle braces. Thinking of useing 4"x4"x48" corner posts with 2"x8"x72" for the top and 2"x4"x72" along the bottom. Thoughts? Is 2x8 good? Should i use a 2x10?

Trump

ReefO'
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Correct I can but like I mentioned I don?t want any middle braces. If youlook at a standard 6' long fish cabinet there are 2 middle braces that thedoors are attached to, I don?t want those braces. Do you a 2x4 rectangle boxwith no middle braces is strong enough?

Last edited:

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
I read your post carefully before i posted. I've seen it done with 2x4's the way you want yours but that might be too much if you have limited carpenter skills. I doubt use 4x4's...

mheaven

Master Member...
Rating - 98.3%
59   1   0
Second on the 2x4's.

I'm building a stand soon for my 125.. It will support my weight, along with the tank. It will have 4x4 just for the corner post( under the tank) all other post will be 2x4". 3/4 " ply wood under the tank. Stand will measure about 8 x 32 x 30.

I should start it this weekend.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Do not use 4x4's. you can use a 2x8 top frame and 2x6 lower frame with 2x6 vertical supports. The 2x8 will be plenty to support without any additional middle braces. Will you be laminating the exterior with plywood? Keep in mind when your building this to use quality lumber and fasteners. It is always a good idea to use adhesive as well. I used liquid nails which is water resistant on all the joints just in case. Take a look at my help me build me 150 thread. It shows the build up of my new stand that I am finishing up. I used 2x8 top frame, 2x6 lower frame with 2x6 vertical supports, 3/4" cabinet grade plywood with adhesive on all joints and back of all plywood. The ply helps with the rigidity. Overall my stand overkill but I know it will never fail under extreme load. If you have questions feel free to ask.

Trump

ReefO'
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually not worried about the corner posts as much as I am with saging form not having a middle support. You fell a 2x4 (with no plywood) is good for the 6' span?

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I will eventually be building a 6 foot tank in a future upgrade. I will use a 2X4 for the top and bottom long supports, but I will skin both sides with a good quality laminar 3/4 PLY and a high strength poly glue like Gorilla Glue and screws.

Have you ever seen the tanks in Aqua Hut? They are 6' across and only rest on 4X4 on each side. There is no front support at all.
I would definitely stay away from that setup, but it does show how much over engineering we do.

Last edited:

Trump

ReefO'
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weicowireman...... your stand looks great thanks for the help. 2x8 for the top verticals, correct? that 2x4 comment after your first post was for mheaven, i should of adressed it to him. anyway have you filled your tanks yet?

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I built my stand for my 125 using 2x6 for the top rails and 2x4's he stand is rediculously strong. It's been set up almost 2 years. Not a single sag or shift. Just as important as the design of the fame is making sure that all of your joints are perfectly square and everything is built level.
Here is a picture of frame

Attachments

• P1020246-1.jpg
    P1020246-1.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 54

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: