• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
None of the methods above are simple solutions. You have to sit down and read a ton.... Until you're informed enough to make a decision on your own. Until then, you really don't want to jump into any of the methods. All the above have been proven to crash tanks when not applied properly (even GFO).

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Lanthanum Chloride (LaCl3) is very potent and effective. A good understanding and a grasp of the process is a must before attempting. Your filter feeders/bivalves might take a hit, and tangs has shown respiratory issues when flocculants aren't properly filtered out.

Biopellets has worked for me on several occasions. But too many variables to be considered. I won't be running them on my rebuild, instead I'll be looking into macroalgae, biomedia (siporax, Seachem Matrix).

Last edited:

jgraz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Vodka= last resort option
Bio beads = Not good
Lantium Chloride = not very effective

best option is GFO. Absorbs the phosphate well, and all you gotta do is just change it out like twice a month.

Changing GFO twice a month must run a fortune. As for the rest, those are merely your opinion. At least offer some reasons why you feel this way.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
From what I have read LC is best not to use in the tank.
Maybe in a section of your sump, but the flow rates must be low and the residue needs to be removed. This is not a simple process and if you mess it up you can have problems.

The best solution is to address how the Phosphates and Nitrates are getting into your system. Are you using tap water? Do you rinse frozen foods before feeding?
If you are using RODI and rinsing food then this can be managed with GFO and through macroalgae either in the tank or a fuge.

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
For everyone that tells you that it shouldn't be done, you'll find someone that will prove them wrong.

if you do a search for each listed process you will find some very well kept and beautiful tanks. I have tried vodka and bio-pellets with good results. The key is to start slow and then adjust your dosage in small increments. Also be advised that what works for one person may not work for you. do your research and get informed before placing your tank under stress.

BTW Rkaragozler , a member on this forum, has a 450 gallon tank that is currently running LC with good results. hopefully he will chime in and give you his observations on using this process. If not look up his tank thread and take a look.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I dont disagree but how why is the OP interested in pursuing these for nutrient control? Is this a last step or are they exploring these before exhausting more simple methods first?

There are people who parachute from balloons at 128,000 feet. But if someone asks me about it I will encourage them to explore other options first.

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I dont disagree but how why is the OP interested in pursuing these for nutrient control? Is this a last step or are they exploring these before exhausting more simple methods first?

There are people who parachute from balloons at 128,000 feet. But if someone asks me about it I will encourage them to explore other options first.

From reading his question i can infer that he is already doing weekly water changes and is looking to "explore" one of the other options that he has listed.I believe he is looking for some reefers who have experimented with those processes and have an insight on the options he listed. So I believe he is asking about the other options he listed as a means to control his nutrients.

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
Too mich GFO can strip nutrients too quickly from your tank. For one example, I think ReefBum (Tank of the month winner) had his tank crash when he added too much GFO. I was reading that thread the other day and saw that.
x2 not only will it strip the nutriants too quickly, but also play havoc with your alk....been there when I first started using it years ago....BTW because I have a heavy bio-load with lots of fish I use GFO, a 90 gal fuge loaded with chaeto, skimmer and I also vinegar dose which is not as strong as vodka as a carbon source....besides I can't waste perfectly good alcohol....LOL

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
tested my ro water and all is good . my tank is stocked with about 14 fish so this might be problem. i feed them only once per day. and i also do weekly 15 gallon water changes.Have bi beads running and gfo. neither helps.vodka see to keep nitrate down when i was dosing it.

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
what size tank and what type of equipment(sump, Skimmer bioballs?). With more information a better recommendation could be made on what to help you out. And what is your nitrates ate generally?
tested my ro water and all is good . my tank is stocked with about 14 fish so this might be problem. i feed them only once per day. and i also do weekly 15 gallon water changes.Have bi beads running and gfo. neither helps.vodka see to keep nitrate down when i was dosing it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: