• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

CristianD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
It is apparent from this thread that we have more than one person with an issue with a clam they got from us at the swap. If anyone is unhappy with the quality of a clam they got from us at the swap please send us a pic via PM and we will gladly give you credit in the amount you spent for the clam at the swap toward any clam we have on our site. This offer will be extended until Saturday, to receive credit we will need to hear from you by Saturday. We brought 70 clams to the swap and sold them all, while it is impossible for us to know how they are handled after they left our tank at the swap, we do want everyone to be happy with what they bought, so please PM us and we will take care of you. Thanks.

Thank you for your time. I will pm a pic.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I have spent some time reading all I can find on "burping clams" via google. There are mixed opinions that range from it is necessary, to clams essentially "burp" themselves because they are often exposed to air in the wild.

How exactly does one know that their clam needs to be burped? I have never heard of someone doing this until recently and I know a lot of people that have had clams in their tanks for many years...

I will say that my clam is not opening up as much as I would like... It keeps retracting, but I suspect it just has not gotten used to having as many fish swimming around it...

Alfred

ducati335i

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
178   0   1
I've bought clams for the past 13 yrs.. I have never acclimated any and I even dipped them in rc and revive(just make sure they are closed)
Only thing I acclimate are Sps/shrimp.. Nothing else over the past 14 yrs.. And all successful.. So either your water is off, or the animals were in bad shape

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
My clam opened up just fine... ;-) Must have not liked the food I feed the fish.

Yeah, only thing I am very careful acclimating are shrimp and other delicate inverts. Fish I acclimate over 20-30 minutes by putting them in a bucket and adding small amounts of tank water every few minutes until I have added as much tank water as there was bag water. Sometimes I am a little more fastidious with tangs just because they are ich magnets and I treat SPS with kid gloves as far as temperature and salinity- but I don't go crazy. (I do place them lower in the tank if they were recently shipped and not in light for a while)

Alfred

ducati335i

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
178   0   1
O yes of course, I was excluding fish.. I qt all my fish at least two months medicate and drip for a good hour or more at least.. I learned to never trust corals or fish many times back in the day which would cost me tons

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: