fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I picked one up the other day for my 20 gal. I dont have a light good enough for light demanding corals yet so i figured i go with a non-photo.
My question is,How often should i feed and what should i feed? I only have 3 damsels and 5 ghost shrimp in there,so ive only been feeding a pinch of flake per day. Any advice is appreciated. Tia

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Always loved them, but never got one. Reason for never getting one is that it can eat fish, and I don't want my fish to go MIA.:(

http://www.freshmarine.com/tube-anemone.html

Feeding & Nutrition:
Tube Anemone derives its nutrition mainly through photosynthesis, which is performed by zooxanthellae, a photosynthetic alga living symbiotically within the Anemone.
Ceranthus membranaceus is Carnivorous in feeding habit and filter feeds daily in the night, when open.
Tube Anemone eats Mysis Shrimp, fish, zooplankton, phytoplankton and the meaty bits of raw shrimp, brine shrimp, small crustaceans, krill and silversides.
Add Calcium, Iodine and trace elements as dietary supplements for Ceranthus membranaceus.
Care: Ceranthus membranaceus is difficult to maintain.

Caution:
Tube Anemone can eat reef fish therefore; better keep the Anemone in invertebrates only or species only marine aquarium.
Keep Tube Anemone away from the other corals in your marine aquarium as both corals and the Anemone may sting each other thereby, harming one another.

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Ive been doing some research on this and found they are Non-photosynthetic. I copied this off of liveaquaria.com

The Tube Anemone is also referred to as the Tube Dwelling Anemone, and is best kept in a reef or species-only aquarium with a soft, deep substrate. It is actually a distant relative of the true sea anemone. It creates its tube from the nematocysts that it has discharged. Their coloration is highly variable and can range from tan, pink, purple or even have shades of fluorescent green.
The ideal aquarium for the Tube Anemone is one with a deep sand bed, plenty of live rock and a refugium for a natural food source. They are non-photosynthetic and do not require intense lighting. In fact, they are nocturnal in nature and will take time to begin to open during the illuminated hours.

Because they are not photosynthetic, they need to be fed regularly when it is fully expanded. Feed small frozen foods such as brine or mysis shrimp, chopped pieces of fish and zooplankton.

Approximate Purchase Size: Small: 2" to 3"; Medium: 3" to 4"; Small/Medium: 2" to 4" Large: 4" to 10"

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Has anyone tried this in their regular tank?
Would like to add one but not sure if it is safe or not.

I have one in my 450g DT, that I bought either at the spring '12 swap or the fall '11 swap... is in the back corner of the tank (less light under the overflows) ,doing well, growing...and I would guess that in the past 6 months, I may have fed it once or twice!

Rating - 100%
227   0   0
i keep mine in the corner by itself. i feed a small piece of shrimp or silverfish biweekly. very nice fluorescent pink & green. stays open day & night. all my fish ignore it. model reef inhabitant so far. :cheers:

Attachments

• IMAG1813.jpg
    IMAG1813.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: