MikeC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
Hi guys and girls your opinions views or experiences are appreciated.
I have a 120 DT with a 40gal sump that has a part of it as a refugium.
See pic bellow.
897ef67f6afdc6b16b52613059f7b5ed.jpg

Sps dominent tank
1. 0 nitrates
2. It is lite on revers osmosis.
3. I have low flow in the fuge.
4. I have about 2-3 inches of gravel with some rubble rock.
5. I also run GFO & Carbon in reacter
6. I do weekly 30 gal water change.

I originally wanted to grow chato for nutrient export my problem is
I can not grow chato:
My question is can I not grow chato because chato needs dirtier water
(more nitrates) to grow? If so am I keeping dirty water to feed the chato?

Would it not make more sence to remove the refugium totally and make some sort of seteling tank and just siphon out the poo.

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
I think that a fuge has more than one thing... You can always put animals in there that you need to get out of your DT, and yes you need to have stuff for the chaeto to feed on. But this does not mean that you will never be able to grow it. I would leave as is.

What is a seteling tank??

Also the other thing that really pops out at me with that pic. Is that you said that you have have a 120 gal display. It does not appear that your sump will be able to handle the overflow when power goes out?

Adamc1303

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I think the reason your fuge isn't growing chaeto is because your feeding it with double skimmed water that has also went through a settling tank. The water is basically protein free. It also seems like the mag pump may be producing too high of a flow. IMO that doesn't mean the system isn't filtering well and I am sure you can tell by looking at your display tank, it's just not a fuge setup that grows macro algea and harvests pods.

JOHANNA

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Is that an led over the fugue. I think you can't grow cheato because of your light. You can grow cheato anywhere with a fluorescent flood light from Home Depot. That led is very concentrated, very bright, and most likely not close to a spectrum that will grow cheato. I have found a light with a yellow hue grows cheato the best.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: