aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Hello All,

I was one of the people who got in on the group buy for the Pacific Sun LED Black Python units when Aloha Tropic was still in business. I bought 2 units (120W BT EX units), 1 master and 1 slave. Tonight, out of nowhere, my slave unit decided to crap out.

Have any of you guys had issues with your units? I've repeatedly had issues for a good few years now but Rafal was pretty much useless. I was pretty unhappy with the whole scenario.

Any ideas on what to do? My tank is currently running on 1 Pacific Sun Master unit and a Marineland Reef Capable LED. Clearly I cannot run it like this long term.

Last edited:

midtownman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
i have the master unit from the groupbuy i never had any issues with it(knock on wood)but if i did i would go to reef central they are vendors over there,im pretty sure they wont help much but its worth a try.this is a lesson learned for me to buy local for now on.

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
I put up a thread on Pacific Sun LED USA just now, I'm not sure they are going to help me only because this is an older light, but I put up a thread here.

Midtown man- I thought we were covered on the whole locality. Turns out those guys were bums.

So you didn't have the flickering problem? I had that issue the first few months I got it. Rafal. No help. That guy Przysmek or whatever his name is. Useless also. Told me to open up the unit and then offered to have me buy a piece of the unit for like $400 shipped here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkUabsG72E0

Apologies if I'm coming off as harsh in my posts but as one can imagine. I'm fuming.

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
This company should be flushed! I have worked with a few on hanging projects and they seem to be too heavy and clunky ! And I hear that customer service is like a total waste , you get a guy who speaks broken dialects and is talking to you through side band from angora!!

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
LOL oh man you had me going with that post dude. The guy in Poland's english wasn't THAT bad but I was pissed that all he could offer me in regards to the flickering issue was I'll ship you a new one for like $650 US or something. I was like What? I can buy an Radion for that price.

Well now I have no idea what to do. I have a half lit tank. I've been like swapping my light from side to side lol

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Wow, to think, when the group buy was being discussed I was seriously considering buying. It looked like an amazing system- highly controllable and the company looked as if it was really focused on strong customer service.

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
i bought the 90 watt unit.its been working everyday since purchase. I bought it for the promise of an 3 year warranty or something like that. unfortunately as far as i know that warranty was useless and was just a selling point. If pacific sun cant help you i would contact Wingo he knows his Led's maybe he can take a look at it and fix it. Hopefully its a easy fix

greg 45

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Imagineanocean is the seller for these lamps.
I own two of them with no problems over a year now
They are always up grading soft ware and new lighting progroms
look at other boards there are more bad reports about other lamps out there
Yorgos Is in Boston contact him I am shure he can help with repare
Ask Questions before bashing someone

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
If you bought them during the 1st GB, it is exactly 3 years ago.
But looking at you video, looks like you have the 2nd gen so probably a later purchase.
Even a big company like Aqua Illuminations would not honor my warranty request 53 weeks after purchase. (warranty expiration of 1 week)

Last edited:

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Imagineanocean is the seller for these lamps.
I own two of them with no problems over a year now
They are always up grading soft ware and new lighting progroms
look at other boards there are more bad reports about other lamps out there
Yorgos Is in Boston contact him I am shure he can help with repare
Ask Questions before bashing someone

Yea this I am aware of. I didn't intend for this to become a bash thread. I'm just setting the service I've gotten so far, which has been subpar at best. I never dealt with the guy in Boston. I've asked plenty of questions to the people in Poland to no avail. The email I got this morning was check the voltage on pins 2 and 4. That was it.

I already did search and the problems aren't that similar to mine except one blogger who had a ballast outage. I'm going to call Pacific Sun LED USA.

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
If you bought them during the 1st GB, it is exactly 3 years ago.
Even a big company like Aqua Illuminations would not honor my warranty request 53 weeks after purchase. (warranty expiration of 1 week)

I've been waiting for you to chime in lol. Any ideas on what I can do? I took the ballast and plugged it into the working unit which is what made me think that's what's broken. But I also took the working ballast and plugged it into the slave, then I realized the slave doesn't turn on unless hooked to a master.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
I've been waiting for you to chime in lol. Any ideas on what I can do? I took the ballast and plugged it into the working unit which is what made me think that's what's broken. But I also took the working ballast and plugged it into the slave, then I realized the slave doesn't turn on unless hooked to a master.

Hmmm..... Let me mull on it a bit :)

I think Pacific Suns are some of the best fixtures in their class, of course pricey, but what piece of foreign equipment isn't expensive, ie. Deltec. The quality is unlike AIs and the software is pretty immaculate, always being upgraded and adding new features to it not to mention very simple to connect to the fixture itself, no extra anything besides the sofware on your laptop/computer. If it was for me I'd upgraded my 4 160w Black Pythons to the newer Triton modular fixture that are the same exact thing but with 8 light channels instead.

Anyways, I really think you should try contacting the guy from Boston at imagineanocean, every time I had a question I was able to get through him and he responded very quickly. One time I had an issue and I was on the phone with him for 30 mins and he helped me get through the issue I was having. Overall I think the product is amazing, very long lasting with superior build quality than most units available unfortunately it's not the companies fault that they had a dishonest and unreliable representative at the time of the GB, don't think they expected nor intended to lose their link to customers in this area.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: