• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Hello everyone I have a question I am upgrading from 120 gallon to a 300 gallon tank soon . I have 250 gallons of total water volume in my system now. What do you think the best way would be to go about doing the upgrade. I will be using most of my old rock some new and new sand . What would be the best way to go about doing this upgrade. I am trying to a void a cycle to minimize my losses in fish and corals . Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks

gnorts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I am no expert but I have done the upgrade and downgrade a few times. Never lost coral or fish in any of the situations.

I always put new sand and used about 50 percent of the water from the existing tank and 50 percent new water. Like someone else stated like doing a big water change. Get your temperate the same. I then always dripped the fish/ coral in to new tank and never had a cycle. Again I am no expert but hope this helps good luck

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
dont use dr tims, get a bottle of microbe lift special blend and a bottle of the nite-out 2 and use it, you will go through a minnie cycle reguardless, mainly diatom bloom, do use as much of your old water as possible and water ever additional with new water to make up the differance

Bikeboss11

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
dont use dr tims, get a bottle of microbe lift special blend and a bottle of the nite-out 2 and use it, you will go through a minnie cycle reguardless, mainly diatom bloom, do use as much of your old water as possible and water ever additional with new water to make up the differance
Hey Noob, why shouldn't he use dr Tim's.... Is there an issue with it???

LowezAkar24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 94.6%
35   2   0
Hello everyone I have a question I am upgrading from 120 gallon to a 300 gallon tank soon . I have 250 gallons of total water volume in my system now. What do you think the best way would be to go about doing the upgrade. I will be using most of my old rock some new and new sand . What would be the best way to go about doing this upgrade. I am trying to a void a cycle to minimize my losses in fish and corals . Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks

Setup the new tank in the desired spot. Remove the fish into a separate bin but make sure you do it with care as to not stress them too much. Put in your live sand (make sure you clean the new sand if you add new sand to avoid excessive long term cloudiness) into the new system. Do your desired aqua-scaping and let the system run for for a while provided that the tank is in the desired location. Periodically check on your fish in the bin to make sure all is well. Transfer the water from current tank to new bins and remove the old setup. Test the water and make sure the temperature is around what it was originally. Setup all the filtration and etc on the new tank. Once the tank clears up, carefully reintroduce your inhabitants. Everything should go well. I wish you Godspeed.....

LowezAkar24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 94.6%
35   2   0
I've upgraded from a 55 Gallon to 125 Gallon in the past successfully just for reference. Did not lose any fish at all. At first I thought I lost my Sixline Wrasse but he only hid for a few days but then came out from his hiding spot.

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
you can do it in a weekend easily...I did my upgrade from a 90 to a 170 in the same spot in one day...I just placed everything in bins with heaters and pumps...used all the same water, rocks even the same sand( just rinsed it). I had an extra 100 gals ready to go and everything was back in by night time with no cycle..no chemicals added and didn't lose a thing. I have a 65 gallon pond container you can borrow...just stop by.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: