I was talking to a friend today who is a fellow reefer and he made a valid point about the wave from a MP pump causing stress on a tank structure. He pointed out that eventually a tank could give out after a continous use of the "wave". Has any1 heard of such a thing happening or has happen to you??

im not sure if this topic has been discussed before, but i would like to hear you guys/girls imput.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
i remember reading a thread on rc about that....but it was on the tunze wavebox. after reading all the back and forth debate, i just gave up on it. yes i do use the wave function on my 200 with 4x mp40's. do i worry?.....about hundreds other things but the wave weakening the tank ain't one.

i kept telling myself that this hobby isn't for me but i can't quite it.....so addictive... like crack on steroid!!!!!

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Im more worried about a bad test kit,bad salt,my kids doing something by accident,this darn refractometer calibration that was off by .005 my calcium reactor getting clogged,PH,SPS STNing and my anemone moving and taking my corals out with it. Had my vortechs for years and no worries there :)

4Fish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, but I will add one more point. I use the CPR overflow on my reef, I sometimes worry about putting a strain on things. But I have had fish tanks forever, including ones with the metal frames, and never had a problem, well, I should say never had a problem that I did not directly cause (i.e., leaning on my center brace and bracking it!!).

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
People claim it's bad for tanks... but any supporting threads of tanks that have failed due to this? Or can be loosely attributed to it?

You can't say its bad just cause you think its 'common knowledge'.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
If your doing this with your tank theres a high possibility your going to stress the tank out and everything inside it, make you dizzy and probably throw up if you have a weak stomach. Maybe even break one or two of those cheap aquarium store brand stands.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QHfDh4eqYPs

Noone goes this extreme with their wave modes. Usually the waves balance out and don't rock the tank side to side.

And Beerfish, theres no reason to be like that to the guy. I'd be worried and look into something that someone says might blow my tank up and I didn't know enough about it. Just tell him there aren't any reports about waves blowing up tanks and he's all the more wiser, and you look less like an arse =)

Last edited:

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
And Beerfish, theres no reason to be like that to the guy. I'd be worried and look into something that someone says might blow my tank up and I didn't know enough about it. Just tell him there aren't any reports about waves blowing up tanks and he's all the more wiser, and you look less like an arse =)

Wasn't really trying to come off like an arse. (Although I was being sarcastic, which doesn't always work well in a typed medium.)

With poison fish, jammed overflows, palytoxin, and, ya' know, combining saltwater with electricity, something like this should be the least of your worries in this hobby. Short of having a campfire in your living room, having a tank is one of the least safe things you can do in your house.

Koolaidreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 92.3%
48   4   0
Using the wave mode now on new rank for a week. No problems yet. The mp10 weekens the silicone. Depending on your glass thickness it might be too much for a tank. Now I have a thick glasses tank so im good

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByReefs1355545779.390674.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1355545779.390674.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 73

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: