Savager

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Ok, I got little Dwarf Lionfish from Master about a month ago. He is awsome fish and I was able to leaned him to frozen silverside within week. But couple of nights ago, it was him meal time and he was swimming little funny. And he didn't even look at the food. So I looked at him little more carefully and I noticed that part of him tail fin was gone.

I have him with one Tomato Clown fish and one big Blood Shrimp. I think my blood shrimp is the one who did this crime. He always bullied my lionfish since I added him in the tank.

Oh, I also have one emeral crab, maybe he did it too. I hardly ever see him but one time I saw my lionfish rushed out of hiding spot because of my emeral crab.

Anyway, I separate my lionfish. Do you think his tail will grow back?

Thanks.

p.s. I was thinking about leaving this hobby yesterday but I decided not to. So I need to heal my lionfish.

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Blood shrimp act much like cleaner shrimp as far as i know...so that 'bullying' could just be the shrimp trying to give the lion a good cleaning!

I know my cleaner shrimp look like they are going after a fish, but they really are just waiting to clean off dead scales, parasites, etc..

Savager

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have 12 NC tank. I was going to sell it but now I can use that tank as my hopital tank. I am going to set it up tonight and hopely he'll survive. I don't want to lose awsome lionfish.

Do you think Emerald Crab can do this? I noticed the samething to my firefish before he jumped out of my tank. My firefish was hiding 99% of time and I noticed part of his tail was missing.

I really doubt my clownfish has done this. She really never bothered him since my lion was added in the tank.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Savager said:
I really doubt my clownfish has done this. She really never bothered him since my lion was added in the tank.

It doesn't take long to take a bite out of a lionfish's tail. Unless you watch your tank constantly during "lights on", you may have missed it. A tomato clown established in an anemone will more times than not, attack new fish. They're mean :anger2:

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
It's pretty common for a fish to have a piece of it's tail or fins bite off by another fish, specially when you have large fishes. Most of the time it will heal just like new while other times it may grow back but you can see that it was biten before and has some damage.

It's happens to some of my fish all the time. You just need to make sure that the fish isn't hurt to the point where the other fish are going to keep attacking it and causing it to die. Other wise good water conditions and a heathly diet will cause the fin or tail to grow back in no time.

Tomato Clown are aggressive, like Dean said, and if you look closely at the Clown mouth you'll see little teeth.

Savager

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I guess my tomato is pretty aggressive. One time I was feeding my lionfish with live small guppy and my tomato actually get one and dragged it to his BTA to feed. Guppy escaped few times before he became my anemone's food. I was really surprised how clownfish hunt down the live fish.

Savager

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
marrone said:
Savager

Try not to feed your Lion fish Guppies or gold fish, as neither are good for the fish. I know some Lion fish wouldn't eat regular food but try feeding other things like krill, prawn, small pieces of shrimp and silver sides.

Michael

I only feed him with guppy when I first got him. within week, I was able to leaned him to frozen food. So I was feeding him Silverside and Krill for last 3 weeks or so. Anyway, I said about guppies because my clownfish also killed guppies when I was feeding my lion.

Hitsnorth

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
My tomato has biten me countless times and has drawn blood on more then one occasion. I have had a number of lionfish with him and he never bothered the lionfish but I would guess that if the lionfish was close to the anenome the Tomato wouldnt hesitate to show him whos boss.

Savager

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Chiefmcfuz said:
Hope your lion fish gets better.

I hope so too. It's just pain to see him tail got bitten off. If I have a choice, I would definately get ridoff my clownfish but let's see if my lion gets better and if it happens again, I get ridoff him and anemone.

Dmitry

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I was going to add a Fuzzy Dwarf and a Maroon at the same time. But this makes me think that perhaps the Lion should go in first and Maroon last. Kinda funny to have a Clown as the most agressive fish in the tank! Just not what we think of when we think about clowns! Well, human clowns are psychotic. :skull: But not the fish.

Incidentally, Emeralds can be mean too. I had to take mine out of the tank after I saw him take a bite out of my little Perc a while back. Is the hermit you have a large one?

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Dmitry said:
I was going to add a Fuzzy Dwarf and a Maroon at the same time. But this makes me think that perhaps the Lion should go in first and Maroon last.
In this scenario, I don't think it will matter. Lionfish are not generally territorial and/or aggressive towards new fish (unless they fit in its mouth :eat: ). The Maroon clown will probably become aggressive once it settles into the tank regardless when it was introduced.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: