TRUKINGNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Ok so I'm about to start setting up my next in the next month and I have my rock already (BRS Eco reef saver dry) would it be smart for me to put it in a brute container with saltwater and temp and flow and/or give it a acid bath for it won't leech phosphates or just what till I put it in the tank.

dacaptain78

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I've never heard of curing rock in anything but SW. The bacteria that we need to grow on the rock (that is the reason for the curing process) will not live in RO water.

No, you're right. I should not have used the term "curing". Sorry my brain is not firing on all cylinders this Monday. But if the main goal initially is to remove any phosphate from the dry rock I find it easier and more economical to just soak the rock in RODI water instead of salt water.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Based on the above -

Rinse several times in ro water with heat and circulation and then replace RO with saltwater. The heat will help to soften stuff and dislodge during the rinsing/curing.

Then cure in saltwater but do weekly water changes. You should consider having a skimmer on there as well.

FWIW

House

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
oh i didn't know you have to cure dry rock. i read you should soak in ro to remove phosphates, but what are you curing if its dead and dry? just curious.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
oh i didn't know you have to cure dry rock. i read you should soak in ro to remove phosphates, but what are you curing if its dead and dry? just curious.

I think what is happening here is our brains are reading the first post and we are giving instructions on how to get his rock ready for his tank.

We really should be saying cycling the rock.

Dead rock is not the same as dry rock..and needs to be cured..which taken far enough also cycles it.
Dry rock (or base rock, that never had anything growing in/on it) still needs to be cycled.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: