jaBX1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
i just recieved my Reef Keeper Lite yesterday. and i already love it!

right now im just it using as a fancy timer for my lights.
I connected a heater too but the included temperature probe doesnt seem to be reading what my other thermometer says. not sure if there is a difference in display vs sump temp but ill keep an eye on it.

i still have one outlet free on the PC4 what is the next best thing to control?

i was planning on using the RKL as an ATO, but after doing research i think that would require me to have another PC4.

in time i plan on adding another pc4 for wavemaking but in the meantime....

any input is appreciated

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
to hook up ato I'm pretty sure you need another module, might be sl1 not sure. they also sell a apc advanced pump controller for tunze pumps so you can ramp them up and down. the wave maker that comes with it is just on and off. i am looking to buy the apc.

jaBX1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Figure out the temp probe situation. They usually are pretty accurate. What device is givomg you your other reading and why do you trust that more? Having a heater attached to your controller is a must.

yes i figured it out, just recallibrated it (was only off by 1 degree). and i agree its a must, much safer now.

since i dont have enough outlets to set up opposing wavemakers any suggestions what the 4th outlet should be on my controller?

jaBX1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
to hook up ato I'm pretty sure you need another module, might be sl1 not sure. they also sell a apc advanced pump controller for tunze pumps so you can ramp them up and down. the wave maker that comes with it is just on and off. i am looking to buy the apc.

i was doing some research and i think your right, seems like sl1 is needed for ato.

guess my diy ato will have to do until i feel like dishing out another $70 for SL1

thanks guys

James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
I would put the return and powerhead on one of those outlets (use an adapter, since you probably have the powerhead on all the time ) and then set that outlet to feed mode so when you do water changes and feed your tank, you can turn off your pumps easily. Check with someone who knows more about power draw first because I have not done this and do not know if the outlet could handle it but i think it would. If not, just use it for your return for easier water changes. :)

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I would put the return and powerhead on one of those outlets (use an adapter, since you probably have the powerhead on all the time ) and then set that outlet to feed mode so when you do water changes and feed your tank, you can turn off your pumps easily. Check with someone who knows more about power draw first because I have not done this and do not know if the outlet could handle it but i think it would. If not, just use it for your return for easier water changes. :)
i spoke with digital aquatics about doubling up on outlets, they say its fine as long as you don't over load that outlet. 1+4 are rated 8amps. 2+3 are 3amps. i have my return pump and skimmer on 4 with a 30min stand by for feeding.

James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
i spoke with digital aquatics about doubling up on outlets, they say its fine as long as you don't over load that outlet. 1+4 are rated 8amps. 2+3 are 3amps. i have my return pump and skimmer on 4 with a 30min stand by for feeding.

Thanks for the info :) Would you mind letting us know your specific return and skimmer pump?

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
a blue line 70 and reef octopus xs160. 8 amps is a lot of current, your pumps should have ratings on them. my pump is a decent size rated at 290 watts thats less than 3 amps. the skimmer takes barely any thing

stbarnabas

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
i just got mine today and i opened it up i noticed that there is no instruction paper in it ... i got elite net ...ill call them tomorrow .. so excited to hook it up ...

jaBX1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0

good idea, standby is a nice mode, perfect for spot feeding

you guys have any alerts set? i know you use alarm to set up ato but wondering what else could be used for.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: