firehazard

firehazard
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
hello MR-ers. whats your opinion on overflow box size in regards to full height of tank (holes on bottom panel of tank) VS. "a box on the back wall" (holes on the rear)? each has their pros and cons but i'd like to hear from others.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
If you're talking about installing yourself the bottom of the tank will most likely not be an option due to tempered glass.

I don't understand why people still insist on buying non reef ready tanks to make into a reef tank. More headaches and worries to where the extra hundred bucks for a reef ready is worth it 10 fold.

firehazard

firehazard
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I undsrstand the whole tempered glass scenario. And no im not trying to go that route. i was thinking that the benefit of "making your own" reef ready tank was more space for unions and valves in plumbing, more floor space for aquascaping asas well as more water content seeing that it is only a smaller box (compared to the whole column of space. I know its not much just want input. But i like the reef ready tanks because no extra space between tank and wall, all fine tuning plumbing is in one place, and doesnt block light.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I undsrstand the whole tempered glass scenario. And no im not trying to go that route. i was thinking that the benefit of "making your own" reef ready tank was more space for unions and valves in plumbing, more floor space for aquascaping asas well as more water content seeing that it is only a smaller box (compared to the whole column of space. I know its not much just want input. But i like the reef ready tanks because no extra space between tank and wall, all fine tuning plumbing is in one place, and doesnt block light.

I understand what you're going for but no matter what there will down sides of added overflows. The column around your plumbing doesn't take up enough room to effect having a nice aquascape(unless you're running a 55g). When you do an overflow box you constantly have to worry about maintaining a siphon and such. They're just not worth it in my eyes but that is only my opinion.

Good luck with whatever route you go but I would go reef ready and have no worries myself. All of the unions and such will never be behind the tank anyway, they're always under- just food for thought. Like I said good luck with it.

Also the normal housing around the plumbing on a reef ready tank doesn't decrease the water volume much at all. It's only a thin plastic shield and the column fills with water.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: