Oddomatic

Reef Enthusiast
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixing salt water is a fairly easy task, but like anything else, there is always tips and tricks of the trade. I'd like to include some additional calcium to my mix. Any tips? Also I know that most of the trace elements are replenished with water changes, but do you guys dose anything else with your initial salt mix to get a better spread of trace elements? On a side note I am mixing in 5 gal buckets at a time and use Reef Crystals salt mix. Any specifics with the amounts to dose will help also.... Thanks.

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
I guess 20 years+ in the hobby makes a veteran sounds better than just old...first after mixing the 5 gallons take tests of the three majors elements cal, alk, mag at the proper temp and SG reading then determine at what level you which to keep your tank parameters and adjust accordingly...in a new system I wouldn't worry about other elements since most will be in the WC....in older systems especially SPS tanks the depletion rate is much higher and some of those elements should be tested such as strondium and iodine which I dose to bring them up to the proper levels...a good cal reactor or doser should keep most elements within proper levels, but should be adjusted to keep up with the demand of the tank ...

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I've never done anything special besides adjusting salinity, temp, cal, alk, and mag to match my tank water. The trick of the trade would be know when and how large of a water change to do to help maintain a low nutrient level.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
I guess 20 years+ in the hobby makes a veteran sounds better than just old...first after mixing the 5 gallons take tests of the three majors elements cal, alk, mag at the proper temp and SG reading then determine at what level you which to keep your tank parameters and adjust accordingly...in a new system I wouldn't worry about other elements since most will be in the WC....in older systems especially SPS tanks the depletion rate is much higher and some of those elements should be tested such as strondium and iodine which I dose to bring them up to the proper levels...a good cal reactor or doser should keep most elements within proper levels, but should be adjusted to keep up with the demand of the tank ...

As another grizzled veteran, I agree with Mike ( it seems I almost always do !). Don't add anything to your freshly mixed salt. Adjust the system if need be later on.

polywise

OLD SCHOOL-ish
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I have never checked for that, but also have never noticed a jump in my PH reading on my reefkeeper at 1 minute interval data points.

My water change is done twice a month. Each time I remove and add 50 gallons I have a 300 gallon system. The water change is done over about 10 minute time frame.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I've heard adding an airstone to water change water can raise the pH.

I have never tested my ph while the air stone is in the mix, I have also been in the hobby for 20 years, but I always aerate my freshly mixed water for 24 hours before adding to the tank. The only salt I didn't wait 24 hours for was the ESV, but I still aerated it over night.

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
It does not raise Ph dramatically... so it is still within usage. Do keep in mind that Ph is different tank to tank due to any buffering media (ie. sand, chemical drips, top offs with kalk). So if you are looking to Ph match and you take your readings with electronics vs liquid testing you will know when to use the water. But even though after introducing the water to the system it will level out once it is mixed so you need not worry too much.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: