nyshoots

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Since my newly acquired mystery wrasse ate my cleaner shrimp, crabs, and half my snails im kicking around the idea of getting either a hawkfish, leaf fish, pygmy wasp, or small wart skin angler. My setup is a 28 gallon mixed reef with a good size mystery wrasse, large percula clown, and clean up crew. I dont want anything that could potentialy eat my percula what do you guys think ?

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
How big is the mystery wrasse?
If your going to keep the m/w in the tank somewhat limited in selection. Out of what you listed though I like Hawk fish. Long nose is one of my favorite fish.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
I have only had a l/n in a fish only tank many years ago

Some others could answer better, but I would not see how it cold hurt the Coral by being perched on it. The concern would be delicious shrimp if any in the tank

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
With the size tank that you have I would not recommend getting a hawk.... if your intentions are to keep the mystery wrasse. I probably would refrain from any of those other fish as well.

nyshoots

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Really ? I feel like im under stocked I do weekly water changes and my tests are always show ultra good water quality. In fact I only had the percula and a hi fin goby in that tank for a long time and my tank looked like crap. When I addded the wrasse he ate the goby and most of my cuc but my tank and sps have started looking a lot better. I had a long talk with another reefer a few months back about caring capacity and the benefits of a heavily stocked tank with aggressive nutrient export vs running your tank under stocked with aggressive nutrient export

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
what I state has nothing to do with nutrient exporting. But behavior of fish.... however you don't need to take my word. Best to experience it yourself and see how they do in your tank.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
I think the issue is tank size plus fish selection. Mystery can be aggressive and dominate that tank size maybe sell/ trade him and restock that way with other fish. Live aquaria has a nano fish section it can give you some ideas on fish selection or dig through tank threads here

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: