EdMar1023

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reef heads. So I have started a 10gal nano reef. So far I have 20lbs live sand. Aquasun T5s. Quiteflow 10 HOB (100gph) and about 4lbs live rock, will be getting some more soon. I haven been cycling for about two weeks and just put in some CUC 2 turbo snails , 2 nassaruis and 1 blue leg hermit & 1 red leg hermit. Can some one recommend if I should get a skimmer? I have read around and they said WC are best & not to invest in a skimmer. I am planning to get some Corals in the future and should I get some more CUC? If so what else should I add? I see the turbo snail poops a lot. What's best way to clean it up? Also is it possible to get a start fish? If so what do guys recommend? This hobby is consuming my life! Thanks for the help.

-Eddie reefhead.

empire

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Where did you read that? Skimmers and water changes are both necessary. Pictures of your tank? What fish are you planning to keep? You could potentially not use a skimmer, as long as your bioload is low.

Last edited:

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Cycling takes about 6 weeks. Did you check your levels? There is a good chance you just put all those inverts into a toxic environment and they will possibly die.

Do yourself a favor and test the ammonia and nitrite levels. they need to be ZERO before you start buying stock and sending it to an early grave.

Starfish will either eat your coral and inverts, or eat all the food in the sand until it staves and dies and nukes your tank. Your tank is way too small for a star. If you didnt get coral, yeah, pick up a chocolate and go nuts. Under NO circumstances can you get a Linkia or a sand sifting star. Just FYI.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
You don't need a skimmer on a 10 gallon tank or any tank for that matter. A skimmer will certainly keep a healthier reef but not needed. I have ran years without one on my nanos. Focus on good husbandry and understanding that you need to take it extra slow with a nano so beneficial bacteria can colonize.

Skimmer less Sps nano

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByReefs1361310562.499885.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1361310562.499885.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 47

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: