thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
i am very close to setting up my new tank and i was hoping i could get some input on whats the best way to do the plumbing.

i have used the clear tubing in the past, but have also seen many members hard pipe the plumbing, and some others use the flex pvc
i would like to know what you think is best and more importantly why you think so.
the tank itself will be located in my family room and unfortunately all of the equipment will be in the stand, i dont have the option of the basement sump system that many take advantage of.

if it factors into decision the tank will be a 150 cube, diy stand, 36"sump with internal skimmer and as of now external pump (back and forth on this)

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I prefer hard pvc. Vinyl tubing through time loses its elasticity and even when clamped can give you issues. It gets hard after a while and can split, but you also may go 10 years with no issues, I just would rather never have the chance of tubing letting go notated how small the chance.

If you have any out of the ordinary angles flex pvc can be a lifesaver. If not out of the ordinary turn and the angles will be easily made with fittings(22.5,45,90's) then I prefer my plumbing to be all solid hard line.

Good luck with the new tank when the time comes.

Last edited:

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I would also do the external pump if you have the room. Then you can plumb a manifold on the vertical return line if pvc is used and also leaves you plenty of room in the return chamber for a skimmer as well as leaves more water volume in the sump itself from no pump displacing any.

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
I think that a mix of vinyl and hard is the best option. Hard pipe everything except for the actual connection of the manifold to the bulkhead for the return. It makes like a bit easier with movement. If you happen to get a slight vibration in the pump it will travel through the hard pipe, but with the vinyl you will have some play. And then you also do not have to worry about the pipes lining up exactly especially if you have an external pump, with internal not as much of a prob as you will be able to move the pump around. But just try to deal with an external pump and having to swap it out or take it out for maintenance with hard piping. Even with the correct fittings it is sometimes hard.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
I think that a mix of vinyl and hard is the best option. Hard pipe everything except for the actual connection of the manifold to the bulkhead for the return. It makes like a bit easier with movement. If you happen to get a slight vibration in the pump it will travel through the hard pipe, but with the vinyl you will have some play. And then you also do not have to worry about the pipes lining up exactly especially if you have an external pump, with internal not as much of a prob as you will be able to move the pump around. But just try to deal with an external pump and having to swap it out or take it out for maintenance with hard piping. Even with the correct fittings it is sometimes hard.

perfect, i just want to make sure i have everything you need when you come over to get it going.
thanks Jimmy

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I use 100% flex PVC on my system. You can use PVC cement on it to bond it to bulk heads, etc. So there is no worrying like there is with vinyl.

Hard PVC is the biggest PITA.

I do t know why everyone finds hard pvc so hard to use. You measure, test fit, mark and glue. It's not rocket science- just takes a bit of patience. To each their own.

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I do t know why everyone finds hard pvc so hard to use. You measure, test fit, mark and glue. It's not rocket science- just takes a bit of patience. To each their own.

Oh? It's pretty difficult when you have one shot at it. You can measure all you want, but when everything is said and done, there is always a .25+ off in either way. Not to mention the 'natural curves' - hah - of the Flex PVC gives you a tiny boost over hard PVC 45/90s.

Think about it, do you want to mess with measuring/cutting/elbows/45s/blah blah, or just use a flex?

Just my opinion. "To each their own"

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Oh? It's pretty difficult when you have one shot at it. You can measure all you want, but when everything is said and done, there is always a .25+ off in either way. Not to mention the 'natural curves' - hah - of the Flex PVC gives you a tiny boost over hard PVC 45/90s.

Think about it, do you want to mess with measuring/cutting/elbows/45s/blah blah, or just use a flex?

Just my opinion. "To each their own"

And you're entitled.

But I'll say out of the 20+ tanks Ive done how I do my measuring and marking I'm never off.

You don't glue it until its measured and test fit. If you test fitt, then mark each joint- you then cement it and you won't be off. Now if you have no common sense and glue and cut as you go then yeah it can be difficult. But it's called rings and hash marks. Line them up after everything is dry fitted and when you cement you line them up on both depth and clockwise/counter clockwise.

So all the hard and blah blah aren't difficult if you're smarter than the plumbing you're dealing with.

So yep ill mess with all mentioned and my plumbing comes out spot on each time.

Again 36 I'm sure it will come out great no matter how you like to do it. Always more than 1 way to skin a cat.

Last edited:

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
You're right, other people are just not as good at measuring PVC as you. I will stand down to your convictions on PVC plumbing. FLEX PVC VS. Hard PVC is serious business.

See it was never meant like that man. My original comment was challenged in a way like you always do with attitude and was taken out of context. I never denounced flex if you read my original post.

All I was saying is that I've heard so many people say how hard it is. And then how you came at me yeah I'll fire back.

If you or anyone else wants to use flex that's cool. But its not hard, just time consuming for hard pvc to be done right. I also just stated that the tanks I've done for people line up spot on- not because I'm better than anyone, I guess I'm just a bit more patient.

Just dont expect to throw a 1/2 dig at me and expect it to be one way.

Have a wonderful day.

Sorry thirty6(sorry I don't know you're first name). In no way did I intend to hijack or negatively effect your thread. If you need a hand with anything at all that I CAN help with let me know.

Gracias

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
the tank itself will be located in my family room

I know you didnt ask but if you're putting in your FR - think about noise :irked: - i had one in my family room and needed to blast TV to hear it - Things to consider - hard pipes and elbow may cause more noise - splashing of the return in the sump - skimmer return splashing in sump - also totally recommend researching "herbie method" to eliminate the overflow crashing sound. Thier is a better method that requires 3 holes in tank....can't remember name..." bean"?? anyone chime in pleaze.....

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
I guess it depends on what king flex pvc you use one kind bends but it still wants to snap back strait and will put stress on the union to the bulkhead.the wetdry filter hose is better. I hard plumbed but used a 3 inch flex from the bulkhead to the oneside of the union and hard pvc after . I used clear hose on the return but gonna add stuff but will use flex as nipples and hardplumb everything and add bypass so i can bypass the chiller with out shuting anything off to service it if needed

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: