SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
I have a few q's to ask.
My tank was started 2 weeks ago and I added a small 4# live rock,which had no affect on the tank,my live rock order shipped today. First question I have the skimmer running since day one open all the way,one week later I adjusted it to the min water level line(octopuss skimmer) it dosent really foam at all,I am guessing theres nothing to skim.When I add the live rock should I leave the skimmer at the min level or open it all the way.. I just dont want it to over flow when the rock starts to cure.
Second question when do I add the algae for the fuge?
Third question I add the cuc when the tank finishes the cycle,all the cuc packs for a 40 gal tank seem like a lot of critters,should I add less?do they die off when the tank matures and there isnt much left for them to eat.
Last q how do I clean the sump bottom its too low to siphon..I created a sand storm and have some dust on the bottom I want to get rid of.
Oh I forgot to ask when your siphon the tank do you siphon the sand to remove detritus ? It seems like every time something swipes the sand there is a dust cloud,is the cuc the main way of removing detritus from the substrate?

Last edited:

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
#1 - you dont really need to skim during the cycle. The Proteins from the dead crap in the rocks is what is feeding the bacteria. You CAN run it, but dont have to.

#2 - I'd add cheato after the tank cycles fully. I mean, you will have massive algae blooms here and there up to 6 months+ from the start of the tank. No macro algae can stop it. but it just goes away with time, and macro in the fuge helps.

#3 Do less in the beginning then start adding more over time. Id get like a 20g CUC pack then wait a month and see how many made it and how clean the tank is. Then get another 20g pack to refresh it.

#4 I use a pump to suck it out. I dont have sand in my sump to its easy. Otherwise CUC in the sump. DONT BUY A SAND SIFTING STAR :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: