jaBX1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
i have been dosing Mg for almost a week now, have had the Mg level stable at around 1800 ppm (+/- 50).

Havnt noticed the bryopsis dying off but only been a few days at 1800 ppm

However, today i noticed that im starting to get a light coating of what i think is cyano/ red slime on my rocks (not big deal) but i also have 3 mushroom that released from their rocks.

i know that mushroom do this from time to time but i found it weird that 3 all released same night. also the individual mushrooms are obviously small and retracted, but also seem to have their "guts" exposed on the underside.

not too worried about them cuz their only mushrooms (except one really nice stripped one) but wondering if it could be the high concentration of Mg that led them to go free.

jaBX1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
The white stuff to the right is the underside all condensed.

Does magnesium lessen the hold corals have on rock?
Or am i just making connections where there are none

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByReefs1362090682.383144.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1362090682.383144.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 213

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
Which Mg. supplement are you using? It is my understanding that people really only see success using the Kent Tech M supplement and the thought is that it really is something else in the formulation of this particular product and not high Mg. per se.

again we agree!....I battled it for awhile and slowly increased my mg level to 1800 for a few months using a combination of products as well as implementing some new methods to reduce nutriants. .only until I started using Tech M did it slowly go away by siphoning and brushing it....I believe it was a combination of the Tech M and lowering the nutriants.....

BTW...I didn't notice any side effects from keeping my Mg level that high for that period of time...

Jan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1800 is very high. Don;t know what the side effects would be at that amount. I've used Kent Marine Tech M at max 1600 for bryopsis and highly recommend it. I used a turkey baster and squirted it directly onto the bryopsis.

Your dkh is a little low
Mushrooms like it about 9-10, especially ricordeas.
Your calcium could be a little higher too - 480-500.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
thats actually normal for me and always has been..

my parameters as of right now (Just checked tonight) last i checked was 2/24/13 and it was the same

alk 9.1 (52ml a day)
cal 425 (52ml a day)
mag 1380 (bumped it up another ml a day) (14 ml a day)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: